No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN congratulates Bunyan Marsous on Sirte victory, rebuilding now the priority

byMichel Cousins
December 18, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Some of the destruction in Sirte (Photo: UNICEF)
Some of the destruction in Sirte (File photo from UNICEF)

Tunis, 18 December 2016:

The UN has sent congratulations to the Bunyan Marsous Operations Room (BM) on its defeat of the so-called Islamic State (IS) in Sirte but warned that the struggle against terrorism was not over.

“Libyans should remain vigilant in the face of terrorism,” UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler said.

Fears by numerous officials in Libyan that many IS supporters managed to escape from Sirte and could regroup elsewhere.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

“I call on Libyans to seize this opportunity to promote national reconciliation and push ahead with the implementation of the interim security arrangements,” Kobler said. “This requires the integration and rehabilitation of fighters and weapons’ collection to give way to a professional security apparatus with a unified command.”

Nonetheless, the victory in Sirte was “a major step forward in liberating Libya from terrorism, ending the days of the Islamic State controlling territory in the country,” a statement from UNSMIL said.

“Defeating terrorism throughout Libya benefits all Libyans,” stated Kobler, paying tribute to those Libyans who had died in the fight against IS.

“My sincere condolences to their families and I wish those injured a speedy recovery,” he added.

The immediate rebuilding of Sirte was now the priority, he said.

The Presidency Council had to put forward a Sirte governance, stabilisation and security plan. Mines needed to be cleared, the residents needed to be able to return safely, there had to be humanitarian aid for the town and treatment for those wounded in the battle for it.

Promises of foreign funding are being made to rebuild Sirte which has become the forth place alongside Benghazi, Kikla and Obari to be designated the reconstruction priorities for the internationally-backed Stabilisation Facility for Libya. A sum of $7.6 million was announced to rebuild its badly damaged Ibn Sina Hospital along with reconstruction of four health centres, mobile clinics, ambulances and two schools.

This, though, is a drop in the ocean compared to Sirte’s financial needs. Just over five years ago, when the then prime minister Mahmoud Jibril estimated the cost at that point of rebuilding Libya at $400 billion, he said that Sirte was the biggest single item in the figure.

Four and a half years ago, it was agreed that 8,000 homes had to be rebuilt. The cost for that alone was put at half a billon dinars.

As to governance for Sirte, it has already become evident that problems are already emerging. The town’s municipal councillors last week elected a mayor, Mukhtar Al-Madani. However, he is seen by BM as too close to Khalifa Hafter and in a counter move it appointed Brigadier Ahmed Abu Shahma as the town’s military governor.

Tags: featuredLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Basic targets underpin the UN’s new Strategic Framework

Dead and wounded troops in Benghazi suicide car bombing

Dead and wounded troops in Benghazi suicide car bombing

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.