By Libya Herald reporters.
Benghazi/Tunis, 18 December 2016:
There are hopes that the baggage handlers’ strike which has hit all aiports in the country except Mitiga will be over by tomorrow, Monday – at least in eastern Libya.
There were rumours in Benghazi today that following a reported decision by Beida-based interim government of Abullah Al-Thinni to release LD 13 million for the year’s worth of unpaid salaries to baggage handlers at Labraq and Tobruk airports, both had reopened today with flights taking off from Labraq to Tunis and Amman.
In fact, no planes from Labraq were reported to have landed in the Tunisian or Jordanian capitals today.
However, both Afriqiyah Airways and Libyan Airlines have said that they hope to start flying from Labraq as of tomorrow, Monday.
Afriqiyah said today’s delayed flight from Labraq to Istanbul had been rescheduled for Monday, while Libyan Airlines said that passengers who had been left stranded in Amman should likewise be able to fly tomorrow.
In a statement, it also said that it had organised at it own expense hotel accommodation for all the passengers from the Jordanian capital.