No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

One militia declares state of emergency after another seizes ministries

byNigel Ash
January 13, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
One militia declares state of emergency after another seizes ministries

Khalifa Ghwell broadcasting today after the ministries' attack (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Khalifa Ghwell broadcasting today after the ministries' attack (Photo: social media)
Khalifa Ghwell broadcasting today after the ministries’ attack (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 12 January 2017:

There are unconfirmed reports tonight that one of capital’s leading militias, the Tripoli Revolutionaries’ Brigade of  Haitham Tajouri, has declared a state of emergency following today’s apparent seizure of three ministries.

While Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj was in Cairo meeting Egyptian president Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi, militiamen backing Khalifa Ghwell and his resurrected Government of National Salvation attacked the ministries of Defence, Labour and Martyrs’ Families, Wounded and the Missing.

PC spokesmen Ashraf Al-Tulty insisted  that attempts to occupy the ministries had been seen off.  Another PC source said that at least two of the buildings had been re-taken.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Nevertheless Ghwell broadcast this afternoon from what seemed to be the defence ministry.  He said that the PC and the Government of National Accord had failed. Conditions had gone from bad to worse since they arrived. The Skhirat agreement was dead. The Libyan Political Agreement which had been imposed by foreigners was over. It was now time for a Libyan Libyan agreement.

“The National Salvation Government is open for cooperation with all military formations in establishing the state authority” he said, adding that what Libya needed was an end to armed militias.

It is also reported that Ghwell went to the labour ministry where all the employees had been gathered  According to one of the people there, he told them to sit down and began speaking to them as if he were the prime minister. He asked about administrative problems and what the main issues were that they were facing.

Even if his militia followers have not held on to any of the ministries, Ghwell’s action today has further underlined the ineffectiveness of Faiez Serraj’s administration. Unpaid salaries, lack of cash at the banks, icy weather, floods, water shortages, power cuts, failing  communications and collapsing security would seem to make the PC’s position increasingly desperate.

Tags: Ashraf TultyfeaturedGhwellLibyaministriesNational Salvation GovernmentPCseizure

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libyan-Libyan only Political Dialogue Committee to meet in Tunis next week

HoR Tobruk condemns opening of HoR Tripoli branch

HoR Tobruk condemns opening of HoR Tripoli branch

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.