No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Electrical power is returning but not enough and not everywhere

byNigel Ash
January 23, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Pylons

Tripoli, 22 January  2017:

Power is slowly returning to western Libya as GECOL announces measures to end the persistent crippling outages. But in the south, limits on the electricity supply are stoking a crisis in the House of Representatives.

Tripoli residents report now having electricity for at least half a day, a marked improvement on recent weeks.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

GECOL engineer Ethman Labash today told the Libya Herald the network had returned to relative stability after the reopening of the pipeline that feeds the Zawia power station. The fuel blockade to the critically important power plant had, he said, been one of the main reasons for the widespread problems.

Labash also said that annual maintenance on two turbines at the Ruwais power station at Hawamid in the Jebel Nafusa had  been completed and they were set to re-enter into service “very soon”.

However Labash admitted there remained a shortfall of almost 1800 MW, which still means several power cuts a day, mainly in Tripoli.

Presidency Council deputy-chairman Ahmed Maetig has said he expects electricity generation to soon be up to seventy-five percent of demand. He estimated the deficit would be cut to less than 500 MW by the end of March.

National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla today claimed Libya had lost $18.5 million when the dual-fuel Zawia power station was forced to use higher-cost diesel while its feeder gas pipeline was blocked at Bir Terfas.

He lambasted those involved in the obstruction saying they were responsible for deaths and suffering among Libyans in the south and west. The NOC has already said it is to take legal action against those who closed the valve feeding the Zawia power plant.

And southern Libya is slowly receiving power again. GECOL officials have reportedly announced in order to manage local demand, they will operate a system of five hours on, five hours off.

The power cuts in the south have political significance. House of Representatives president, Ageela Saleh has talked to interim prime minster of Abdullah Thinni in Beida about them. Saleh wants to end the boycott of HoR members from the south, who last week suspended their participation in the parliament in protest at a perceived lack of interest in Fezzan. One of their key concerns is the pressing need to finish the Obari power station to help meet regional electricity demand.

The south has been the hardest hit during the current energy crisis, with local activists claiming Fezzan was ignored. The mayor of Sebha told this newspaper that however hard it tried, the Presidency Council was weak and unable to resolve his town’s problems.

The crippling power shortages in the west and south were triggered when a local militia closed the gas pipeline to the Zawia power plant after some of their people had been kidnapped allegedly by the Warshefana.

Meanwhile, Tripoli continues to suffer from water shortages with more than half its population relying on the Hasawna reservoir on Man-Made River system. The MMR administration claimed today it had repaired damage to the reservoir meaning it could be refilled. Management apparently expects that water would be flowing again within the next 24 hours.  It seems likely that, over and above damage to the reservoir, the pumps have also been deprived of electricity.

 

Tags: BeidafeaturedGECOLHoRLibyaMaetigPCpower cutsSalehThinniSebha

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Triumph and tragedy in Benghazi’s Ganfouda

Triumph and tragedy in Benghazi's Ganfouda

Benghazi terrorists operated out of Misrata camp claims captured Ansar Al-Sharia spokesman

Benghazi terrorists operated out of Misrata camp claims captured Ansar Al-Sharia spokesman

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.