No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sirte’s angry mayor says Tripoli is ignoring his town

byNigel Ash
January 24, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Sirte's new mayor Mukhtar Al-Madani (Photo: social media)
Sirte’s angry mayor Mukhtar Al-Madani (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 23 January 2017:

Sirte’s mayor has complained of a complete lack of interest in his town’s fate by the Presidency Council.

Mukhtar Al-Madani said today that in the 40 days that he had been in office, he had received no support from the government in Tripoli.

He warned the conditions in the battered town remained grave as families tried to return. Madani said that explosives and ordinance that still littered the city were a particular cause of concern.  He wanted more assistance both internationally and local to help clear up the dangers.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

The town is also struggling to bring the main hospital, the Ibn Sina back to life. It was the  scene of heavy fighting in August when IS terrorists sought to make a stand in the building itself and the immediate area. As a result the hospital was heavily damaged. It had already been looted as terrorists took away emergency equipment for use in the field hospitals they had set up further behind their lines. Last March IS gunmen kidnapped 20 doctors and nurses, most of them foreign nationals, to help treat their wounded.

Yesterday. Ministry of Health officials from Tripoli inspected the hospital. A month ago the international community gave $7.6 million from its Stabilisation Facility for Libya but it is unclear how these funds are being allocated and spent.

There is real pressure in the town, not just from mayor Madani, to get Ibn Sina back up and running.  The hospital, which was also badly damaged in 2011 during the Revolution, not only serves the town and surrounding region but was also once operated an important medical school.

Tags: featuredIbn Sina HospitalISLibyaMukhtar Al-MadaniPCSirteTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Divisions in HoR again prevent Libya Dialogue action on LPA

LNA says Ganfouda terrorists now in just a dozen buildings

LNA says Ganfouda terrorists now in just a dozen buildings

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.