No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisia keeps up the pace for peace

byNigel Ash
February 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tunisia keeps up the pace for peace

State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)

By Libya Herald reporters.

State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)
State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)

Tunis, 23 February 2017:

Tunisia is keeping up the pace in the search for a Libyan political compromise.

Today Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi had talks with State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli.  Yesterday foreign minister Khemaies Jhinaoui met former Presidency Council member Musa Koni, who quit Faiez Serraj’s government last month saying that the Council had failed to deliver which meant that he too had failed.

Essebsi told Sewehli that his country did not want to interfere in Libya’s affairs but wanted to remain neutral.  However he said  it would continue to encourage dialogue and the “intensifying” of talks between Libya’s political figures.  He insisted the current impasse had to be broken.

RELATED POSTS

Maghreb Banking Forum‎, Tunis, 4 to 5 May – strengthening economic integration in the Maghreb

LBC participates in the Libyan French Oil and Gas Forum in Tunis

He described the Libya’s current position as delicate and warned that without reconciliation its instability could spill over into its neighbours and father afield.

Sewehli assured the president that Libyans wanted peace. He thanked Tunisia for its attempts to support Libya in particular with the recent tripartite ‘Tunis Declaration,’ an initiative to quickly get mediation efforts back on track.  Such efforts would reenergise dialogue in Libya as momentum begins to build, the State Council chairman added.

Nonetheless, Sewehli warned that he rejected all forms of intrusion into Libya’s internal affairs, though he praised Tunisia’s apparent impartiality.

When Koni visited the Tunisian foreign ministry yesterday, Jhinaoui briefed him on the Tunis Declaration. He echoed Essebsi’s insistence that a solution could only from dialogue not violence. Compromise by everyone, whatever their views, was he said essential.  Even though by resigning, Koni has taken himself out of the political mainstream, it is perhaps indicative of Tunisia’s determination to talk to everyone who might matter, that Jhinaoui was still prepared to take time out to welcome him.

Jhinaoui also saw UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler, making his second visit to the foreign ministry in a fortnight.  After being briefed on the tripartite talks, Kobler thanked the Tunisians along with the Algerians and Egyptians for their work on the Tunis Declaration. He said the initiative had been welcomed by many of the Libyan officials he had met over the past few days.

Indeed Kobler has been even more than usually busy. Two days ago he was in Tripoli where he had separate talks with Serraj and Sewehli. At the weekend he had been in Alexandria where among other meetings,  he had what he claimed were constructive talks with House of Representatives president Ageela Saleh.

Tags: Ageela SalehEssebsifeaturedKoblerLibyaMusa KoniSerrajSewehliTunisTunisia

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Migrants suffocate locked in a shipping container

Migrants suffocate locked in a shipping container

More new banknotes delivered to Central Bank in Tripoli

More new banknotes delivered to Central Bank in Tripoli

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.