No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: the final fall of Ganfouda

byNigel Ash
September 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UPDATE: the final fall of Ganfouda

By Libya Herald reporters.

The women are ordered from the APC (Photo: social media)
The frightened women are ordered from the APC (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 18 March 2017:

In a bizarre end to the two month siege of  Ganfouda’s 12 Buildings complex four women and a child tried to escape in an armoured personnel carrier driven by one of them. It was stopped and the frightened occupants ordered out.

Saiqa Special Forces commander Wanis Bukhamada declared the battle for Benghazi’s Ganfouda was finally over, almost eight weeks after the Libyan National Army prematurely announced a complete victory. But today’s success came at the cost of five more soldiers and a still unknown number of injured.

It is now being said that 43 militants perished in the final assault, not 28 as originally reported, including two who blew themselves up as troops came near them. Bodies were pulled from the wreckage and lined up outside in the morning sunshine. Among them were Ansar Al-Sharia commanders  Fawzi Al-Faydi and Salem Shatwan.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The military now say it took prisoners. It is still unclear if there were other non-combatants who were found after the attack. It had been reported that the militants were holding a number of prisoners to be used as human shields. It does not appear that this tactic was attempted.

Soldiers discovered what was described as a mass grave. This seems to have been the spot where the militants took their dead.

The LNA Mig-21 that crashed today is now understood to have been launching a strike at Sabri, which with Suq Al-Hout is now the last militant-held position in the city. The official explanation for the Mig’s loss is that this was yet another mechanical failure but some witnesses are insisting the aircraft was shot down. The pilot, named as Adel Boshah, ejected and was filmed floating down in has parachute. He is said to have been unharmed.

Night vision shot of militants' boat (Photo: social media)
Night vision shot of the militants’ boat  off Sabri (Photo: social media)

Overnight on Friday, an unknown number of militants was killed when the boat on which they were said to be escaping Sabri was intercepted by a naval vessel.  Marine Lieutenant Akram Zalgam said that the militants’ craft had been spotted with night vision equipment and sunk by gunfire.  In the past it is understood that the besieged militants had managed to catch fish offshore. A picture published by the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council last year showed a meal which included fresh fish.

The damaged car bomb near Nofliyah (Photo: social media)
The crashed car bomb near Nufliyah (Photo: social media)

Away to the west beyond the Sidra oil export terminal, a car-bombing at Nufliya is reported to have gone wrong when the driver overturned the vehicle. Pictures show a black saloon,  apparently packed with explosives, that had rolled on its roof. It is not reported what happened to the driver but LNA technicians made the device safe.

The number of dead and captured militants has been updated.

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBRSCfeaturedGanfoudaISLibyaLNASabri

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Misrata says relations with PC frozen; road to Tripoli is blockaded

Misrata says relations with PC frozen; road to Tripoli is blockaded

Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.