No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata council says it is still in charge as city survives militia attack

byNigel Ash
March 21, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Misrata council says it is still in charge as city survives militia attack

Misrata mayor Mohamed Ishtewi condemns last night's militia attacks (Photo: Misrata TV)

By Moutaz Ali.

Misrata mayor Mohamed Ishtewi condemns last night's militia attacks (Photo: Misrata TV)
Misrata mayor Mohamed Eshtewi condemns last night’s militia attacks (Photo: Misrata TV)

Tripoli, 20 March 2017:

Misratan members of the House of Representatives and the State Council as well as the city’s mayor Mohamed Eshtewi and councillors have warned of growing divisions between moderates and hardliners in the city. However, they have also reassured residents that the council remains fully in control, telling them to ignore the hardliners.

The statement comes as Misrata TV confirmed that it was attacked last night by militants who, it said, had threatened staff. The local radio station was also targeted.

Both are now operating normally.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

On Friday evening, Misrata municipal council officers were briefly attacked by gunmen, believed to be from the same group as those responsible for last night’s incidents.  The hardliners are from a number of smaller militias from the city, all of which oppose both the Presidency Council, which the council and lawmakers support, and Khalifa Hafter. These militias, which support fellow Misratan Khalifa Ghwell as prime minister, include Salah Badi’s brigade and the so-called “Presidential Guard” which was formerly protecting the Rixos complex in Tripoli.

Expressing their concern at the attacks, the council and the lawmakers said  they wanted legal action taken against those who had launched them. They insisted they were sticking strongly to democratic principles. In a broadcast statement they rejected the use of force to impose views as well as stressing the importance of preserving Misrata’ social fabric and maintaining good relations with other towns and cities in the country.

The group warned that staying silent in the face of such aggression might lead to civil war throughout the country.

Tonight Misrata was reported calm.

Tags: featuredLibyaLibyan National Guardlocal councillMirataMisrata TVMohamed EshtewiSalah Badi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
LNA says it will prosecute soldiers who murder and abuse prisoners

LNA says it will prosecute soldiers who murder and abuse prisoners

Another Obari bank manager kidnapped

Another Obari bank manager kidnapped

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.