No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata municipal council gets full Presidency Council backing after hardliners attempts coup

byMichel Cousins
March 22, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misrata municipal council gets full Presidency Council backing after hardliners attempts coup

qwe

By Libya Herald reporter.

Eshtewei 2
Misrata municipal council leader Mohamed Eshtewi speaking to TV stations today (Video grab courtesy of Misrata TV)

Misrata, 22 March 2017:

The Presidency Council (PC) has declared its firm support for Misrata municipal council after hardliners announced it had been sacked and would be replaced by a steering committee.

In a statement today, the PC said that it would have no dealings with anyone other than the elected municipal council, that what the hardliners were doing was criminal and undemocratic, and that legal action had to be taken against them.

Yesterday, at a public meeting on the Martyr’s Hall in central Misrata called by the militants, it was announced that the municipal council had been suspended, that an interim steering committee was being set up to run the city and that fresh elections for a new municipal council would be organised.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

Despite the attempted coup, the militants said they supported democracy and the peaceful transfer of power.

Led by the Misrata military council leader Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, a known Islamist, they also include Ali Al-Jaarani, who was a member of the previous local council. He is said to have been promised the job of heading the interim steering committee.

Supporters of fellow Misratan Khalifa Ghwell and his so-called “National Salvation Government”, the militants have been trying to force the municipal council to resign for some time. Matters came to a head last Friday evening following anti-Misrata protests in Tripoli, when they stormed the municipal council offices. That was followed on Sunday with them occupying the building housing Misrata FM radio and Misrata TV and announcing that the municipal council had been removed.

Following the declaration, they declared there would be a public meeting to ascertain the mood of the city and decide what to do with the municipal council. In the event, the meeting yesterday evening was packed with hardliners and their supporters – many of them refugees from Benghazi – who constantly shouted for the council to be sacked.

qwe

PC statement of support for Misrata Municipal Council

The hardliners are seen as trying to take of a growing sense of public frustration with Misrata municipal council for being preoccupied with national politics and not with delivering local services.

“We have an unfinished hospital, damaged infrastructure, a housing crisis, broken roads needing to be resurfaced, inadequate draining resulting in flooding every time it rains – lots of problems, and lots need to be done,” noted one prominent local civil society activist who did not want to be named.

Despite this, however, he said that the efforts to topple the council would not succeed. “The vast majority of ordinary Misratis refuse this [move],” he said.

It would fail from several reasons, he said. Quite apart from the PC’s refusal to have anything to do with them, no institutions of state, such as the Central Bank, would work with them. Nor would other municipalities. “It is a failure from the start,” he said.

Significantly, a senior commander of the Halbous Brigade – one of the city’s more important army units – has said that it completely rejects the militants’ move. The Mahjoub Brigade, one of the other top Misratan units, has made no announcement but is said to also fully support the municipal council.

The council has dismissed the militants’ moves.

Meanwhile, this morning journalists from Misrata FM and Misrata TV protested outside the court building in Justice Square insisting that the stations must not be dragged into political disputes.

Misrata militants copy
Misratan hardliners declare Misrata Municipal Council removed (Photo: Social media)
Tags: featuredLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Sewehli calls on Italy to push for international criminal proceedings against Hafter and the LNA for alleged war crimes

Sewehli calls on Italy to push for international criminal proceedings against Hafter and the LNA for alleged war crimes

Kobler warns of war crimes being committed in Libya

Kobler warns of war crimes being committed in Libya

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.