No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Third Force pullout from Tamenhint not yet confirmed

byMichel Cousins
March 27, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Sebha/Tunis, 22 March 2017:

Initial reports that Misrata’s Third Force have pulled out of its last position in Fezzan, three years after it moved into the region appear to have been premature.

It was stated that the withdrawal from Tamenhint airbase, where the Misratans were effectively surrounded, followed negotiations with General Mohamed Ben Nayel, the leader forces comprising a number of local brigades who are now part of the Libyan National Army (LNA) of Field Marshal Khalifa Hafter.

In a statement, LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari said that the Third Force had been promised safe passage out of the south.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

However, the Libya Herald has now been told that the elements of the Third Force who have pulled out are those who were based at the Gwirat Al-Mal checkpoint, near Tamenhint airbase – not those at Tamenhint itself.

“All Fezzan is now in Hafter’s hands”, this newspaper had been told earlier this evening by a political activist in Sebha who did not want to be named. He had added that it included the Sharara oil field, taken over by the Third Force from Tebu and Zintani Petroleum Facilities Guards in November 2014.  However, LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari said negotiations over control of the field were still continuing.

In fact it now transpires that the Third Force still remain at the airbase with negotiations for their departure still ongoing.

The Third Force was originally sent by the government of Ali Zeidan in January 2014 to try and keep the peace between warring local communities in and around Sebha. By last December, however, its control over the region had so weakened that it was forced to handover the Brak Al-Shatti airbase to Nayel’s forces without a fight. By the end of 2016, Nayel was demanding that it quit Fezzan altogether. However, the force’s commander, Jamal Treiki, rejected this. But by early January, it presence in the region was limited to Tamenhint and the area around the Gwirat Al-Mal checkpoint. On Monday, the Misratans were forced to hand over the checkpoint and it was then clear that the airbase itself was becoming untenable.

Although the General Nayel’s forces are officially part of the LNA, they are seen as local and the departure of the Misratans is widely welcomed. Two days ago, Sebha mayor Hamed Rafeh told this newspaper that he would be happy to see the Third Force pull out.

Libyan Airlines has meanwhile announced that it will not restart flights to Tamenhint until the situation is deemed stable.

Tags: LibyaTamenhint

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Siala at Washington conference on terrorism

Hafter orders unconditional release of militants’ families

Hafter orders unconditional release of militants' families

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.