No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Three including AFP photographer freed after “sinful” Benghazi Earth Hour celebrations

byNigel Ash
March 30, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Three including AFP photographer freed after “sinful” Benghazi Earth Hour celebrations

AFP photographer Abdullah Doma (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

By Libya Herald reporters.

AFP photographer Abdullah Doma (Photo: Abdullah Doma)
Freed AFP photographer Abdullah Doma (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

Benghazi and Tunis, 29 March 2017:

An Agence France Presse journalist, arrested overnight for taking photographs of a “sinful” Earth Hour rally in Benghazi was freed today, a member of his family has confirmed.  He is reported to have said that he had been well treated while in custody.

Abdullah Doma had been arrested along with four others, believed to be event organisers, by the Benghazi Security Directorate after he posted on his social media page pictures he had taken of Saturday’s  Earth Hour celebrations on the Benghazi University medical campus. They showed male and female singers and members of the audience dancing during the event. It is reported the actual arrests were carried out by a Salafist group.

The Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs in the Beida-based government of Abdullah Thinni issued a statement saying that the way the Earth Hour event was celebrated sinful and evil and did not belong to Islam.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

“This Earth Hour event took advantage of a group of people in which men and women were mixed  at night in an atmosphere full of evil”,  it said. “Some of them appeared to be particularly attired in the infidels’ outfits, making signs of Freemasonry and Satanism.”

This is thought to be a reference to the fact that some of the young women Doma photographed had not covered their heads and were wearing trousers. It is not clear what “Satanic” and “Masonic” signs they were supposed to be making.

The Awqaf  statement went on to say: “ Our country is the country of Tawhid [unity of the faithful] and Sunnah [sayings and deeds of the Prophet], so either you may be like this, otherwise there is no place for you among us.”

It praised the fact that the dean of the university had denounced the event, although the organisers protested  that they had received the university’s permission to hold the Earth Hour party, the third year in which it has been celebrated in Benghazi.  It had first been marked in Libya in 2012, but Benghazi staged its first major celebration the following year.

As in many other towns and cities around the world, the hour this year was marked by the turning off of all electric lights. Saturday’s celebrations in Benghazi were lit purely by candles.

It is understood that the police arrested the four organisers because the event had not been authorised by the military authorities. Doma was detained at his home in the early hours apparently because, as a journalist, he had been covering the event and because he later published some of his pictures on his Facebook page.

AFP said tonight that two of the organisers who had been detained were also released today. The fate of the other two is unclear.

Tags: Abdullah DomaBeidaBenghaziEarth HourfeaturedLibyaministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairsuniversity medical school

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Rivalry within Awqaf ministry creates confusion over 2017 Haj registration

Fresh banknote delivery for CBL

Fresh banknote delivery for CBL

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.