No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Beida suicides prompt panic and incomprehension

byMichel Cousins
April 15, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 15 April 2017:

There is growing incredulity across Libya at what is being seen as an unusual wave of suicides in the country, particularly in Beida. On social media and among some officials, it is even being suggested that the suicides are the result of demonic forces linked to game called “Charlie Charlie”.

The allegation started after it was revealed that six people, mostly teenagers, had committed suicide in the town in the past three weeks and that another four had attempted to kill themselves.

Such has been the panic that there have been reports that the Beida-based interim government’s interior ministry has banned the game, calling it Satanic and a threat to national security.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The reports, however, have not been confirmed and appear to be part of the same frenzy that has suggested that a game is behind the suicides.

Rumours of similar suicides in Derna, which have caused panic in local schools, have meanwhile had to be denied by the local authorities there.

In a bid to inject some sanity into the issue, the head of the information at the interim government’s health ministry, while confirming the number of suicides, said that the only thing in common in all cases was that they had hanged themselves and that there was no evidence to back the rumours. Moataz Trabelsi also said that forensic reports showed that those who died had not taken any drugs. A full investigation had been launched into the suicides, he added.

As in other Arab countries, suicide is normally a taboo subject in Libya and cases are rarely reported. As a result statistics are hard to come by.

Effectively confirming this, Trabelsi has said the families of both those who killed themselves and those who attempted suicide had refused to cooperate with investigations and did do not want to talk about what had happened.

Now with the frenzy, however, suicides are making news. In addition to the latest in Beida, that of a 20-year-old male, another man was reported to have hanged himself in Tripoli’s Bab Ben Ghashir district yesterday.

As for the Charlie Charlie game, there have been claims elsewhere in the world of suicides as a result of youngsters playing it, although these turned out to be a hoax. Nonetheless, over the past year, it has been denounced by a number of Christian fundamentalists as Satanic and the cause of demonic possession. 

Tags: BeidaCharlie CharlieLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Southern fighting imperils all that has been achieved, says Serraj

Algerian nurse kidnapped in Misrata, family fears by IS

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.