No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Massacre reported as Misratans and BDB take Brak Al-Shatti airbase

byMichel Cousins
May 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Massacre reported as Misratans and BDB take Brak Al-Shatti airbase

The Brak Al-Shatti airbase, seized from the LNA on Thursday (Google Earth)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Brak killings
Bodies and a wounded LNA soldier being removed from Brak airbase (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli/Misrata/Benghazi, 18 May 2017:

Possibly as many as 130 LNA soldiers are reported to have been shot, execution-style, after the Misratan-led 13th Battalion (formerly the Third Force) in alliance with the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) and other forces recaptured the Brak Al-Shatti airbase early this morning. The mayor of Brak Al-Shatti has reported that some 74 defender were killed, five of them beheaded.

Earlier, LNA sources had  claimed its 12th Battalion led by General Mohamed Ben Nayel tasked with protecting the airbase had managed to retake it with the backing of airstrikes, in the process destroying a vast array of the attackers’ equipment. Senior LNA sources further claimed they received intelligence of the attack beforehand and retreated to lay a trap.

This, however, was not true and reliable sources in Misrata and Tripoli noted that the base remained in Misratan hands, pointing out that clashes were still continuing this evening. The Misratans, moreover, claimed that they seized the base in the first place without any loss of life or equipment. They added that they had captured large amounts of equipment and several LNA soldiers. This afternoon, they said they had set up a cordon around the airbase and were searching for LNA members who had escaped.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Initially it was admitted by LNA sources that it had lost at least five fighters, including Ali Ibrahim Ben Nayel, the nephew of General Ben Nayel. This later rose to more than ten deaths. By this evening, though, as the extent of the massacre began to filter out, the figure was being put at as high as 134 dead. A source at the medical centre in Brak Al-Shatti said that there were number of civilians among them.

“They killed everyone at the base: soldiers, cooks, cleaners,” said one LNA source. Most were said to have been killed with a shot to the head.

Some of them were among the new cadets whom graduated during the army ceremony to celebrate the third anniversary of Operation Dignity in Tocra two days ago. They had flown to the airbase last night to travel home from there. Four of the new young officers were from Murzuk. The Libya Herald spoke by phone to one of their relatives who confirmed the news.

The LNA has accused the attackers and the GNA’s defence ministry of treachery, saying they took advantage of the fact that much of the 12th Battalion was in Tocra for the Operation Dignity celebrations on Tuesday and broke a truce. The LNA say that a general truce in the south had been agreed by Khalifa Hafter and Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj at their talks in Abu Dhabi last month.

As well as the BDB and Brigade 201, the main body of attackers were from the 13th Brigade, formerly the Third Force, which is now under the control of the PC’s defence ministry run by Mahdi Al-Barghathi. It is still commanded by Jamal Al-Treiki.

Late this evening, the 13th Battalion was reported to have withdrawn from the airbase.  The LNA general command has warned of a harsh response to the massacre.

This story has been updated as news of killings at Brak came in.

Tags: Brak Al-ShattifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tripoli’s main Bab El-Baher fish market reopens

Tripoli’s main Bab El-Baher fish market reopens

Awagir tribal leader assassinated in Soloug

Awagir tribal leader assassinated in Soloug

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.