No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims many Brak Al-Shatti attackers were foreign, says it is fighting Al-Qaeda

byNigel Ash
May 21, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Maha Elawatti.

The Brak Al-Shatti airbase, seized from the LNA on Thursday (Google Earth)
The Brak Al-Shatti airbase, seized from the LNA on Thursday (Google Earth)

Benghazi, 20 May 2017:

The Libyan National Army (LNA) has said it is fighting Al-Qaeda and claimed that some of its soldiers killed at Brak Al-Shatti had been beheaded. It also said the majority of the attackers it had subsequently captured were foreigners.

Mohamed Lifrais, spokesman for the LNA’s 12th Brigade, which bore the brunt of Thursday’s assault, told the Libya Herald: “We are convinced we are fighting Al-Qaeda.”

He said that among the prisoners taken by the LNA were a Palestinian, two Malians and a Chadian.  He claimed that 70 percent of the fighters they had killed or taken prisoner had been foreign.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Lifrais said some of the 12th Brigade troops had been beheaded. A number of bodies had been set on fire, possibly when the victims were still alive. He added that most of the soldiers had been shot in the heart or head or their throats had been slit.

Lifrais also maintained that at least 15 civilians, including a ten year-old boy had been killed in the attack.

He dismissed the suggestion that the executions at the airbase were a reaction to the killings of alleged militants of the so-called Islamic State by a Saiqa Special Forces commander widely identified as Mahmoud Warfali.

“The LNA will liberate the airbase” he said.

It is reported that its 112th, 117th and 173rd brigades are now massing near Brak Al-Shatti for a counterattack.

Tags: 12th BrigadeAl-QaedaBrak Al-ShattifeaturedLibyaLNA

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Saiqa commander Fadl Al-Hassi killed in Sabri mine explosion

Saiqa commander Fadl Al-Hassi killed in Sabri mine explosion

HRW gives detailed account of Brak Al-Shatti massacre

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.