No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni government says it warned UK about harbouring terrorists

byNigel Ash
May 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni (file photo)
Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni  says UK was warned (File photo)

Benghazi, 24 May 2017:

The Beida-based government of Abdullah Thinni has said that it had warned the British government that it was harbouring Libyan terrorists. But the UK had continued to offer a safe haven to the members of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and the Muslim Brotherhood.

In a statement that began by denouncing the Manchester terror bombing, the Thinni government then moved on to an outright assault on British support for the Presidency Council (PC) which it said was not recognised by the House of Representatives (HoR) and operated illegally in Tripoli.

It said the cowardly Manchester attack stemmed from the presence for decades of terrorist groups in the UK. This included the LIFG “which has been recruiting Libyan and Muslim youth in the UK and Europe and sending them to Libya and other countries to deliver terrorism and death.”

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

This, it continued, had been done with the knowledge and consent of the British government which had provided a safe haven for what it described as the “father” of these terrorists who was now in Tripoli. This may have been a reference to Dar Al-Ifta head Sheikh Sadek Ghariani or to Abdul Hakim Belhaj a former leader of the LIFG. The man was described as a friend and comrade of a member of the PC whom the statement also did not name.

It said that despite its continuous warnings, successive UK governments and British ambassadors had “insisted that we share power in Libya with these terrorist organisations and their militias, the LIFG and the Muslim Brotherhood”.  These, it said, had an ideology that resisted any peaceful accord.

It added that  David Cameron, Theresa May’s predecessor as British prime minister, had been pushing the dominance of these groups who “have been destroying our cities and towns in an attempt to shape Libya into an exporter of terror to the whole planet.”

The Beida government insisted that London was actually well aware that the legitimate government of Libya and the Libyan National Army (LNA) were combating these terrorists.

Tags: Abdul Hakim BelhajBeidafeaturedgharianiHoRLibyaLIFGManchester attackMuslim BrotherhoodThinni

Related Posts

GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Libya

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

August 26, 2025
EUBAM delivers first aid medical equipment to Border Guards and Interior Ministry
Libya

EUBAM trains 30 Drugs Control Agency and Customs Authority officers in advanced hand-held x-ray scanners

August 26, 2025
Next Post

Bolstering economy key to a prosperous Libya says Italian ambassador 

Libya’s private sectors call for radical economic reform at Tripoli meeting

Libya’s private sectors call for radical economic reform at Tripoli meeting

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba broadly welcomes Tetteh’s new political Roadmap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.