No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK envoy sharply rejects accusations UK allowed Islamists to prosper

byNigel Ash
May 31, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

Britain's ambassador to Libya Peter Millett reported on Libya to the House of Lords last week (Photo: Parliament TV).
Britain’s ambassador to Libya Peter Millett  (Photo: Parliament TV)

Tunis, 30 May 2017:

The British ambassador to Libya Peter Millett has angrily rejected claims by the Beida-based government that the UK has allowed groups such as the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and Muslim Brotherhood to prosper within its borders.

The Beida government said last week’s Manchester bombing was a result of terrorist groups who have been allowed to operate in the UK for decades. They said the father of the Manchester bomber had been provided a “safe haven” in which to live. Many anti-Qaddafi Islamists fled to the UK in the 1990’s after a number of failed coups.

It also alleged that British governments along with other envoys to Libya had “insisted” the LIFG and Muslim Brotherhood have a part in the UN-backed Libyan government.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Millett said: “We strongly deny the unfounded accusations of individuals from a former government in Libya – the so-called ‘Interim Government’”.

On the UK allowing Islamists to take a role in Libya’s government, Millett said “We also refute the accusations that we insist on certain groups sharing power in Libya: we do not support any such group; Libya’s political future is up to Libyans alone”.

He also pointed to “robust” efforts by Britain that sought to tackle extremist groups within its borders.

In what appears to be a clear reference to the House of Representatives (HoR) president Ageela Saleh, who is accused of delaying political progress, Millett said “those who continue to reject dialogue are preventing effective governance in Libya”.

The HoR-appointed Beida administration, describing itself as the “legitimate government,” accused Britain of “deliberately” supporting the “terrorist militias” that the Libyan National Army and Khalifa Hafter were fighting.

Yet, Millett insisted the UK “remains steadfast in its support for the Libyan people as they strive to defeat terrorism across Libya”.

Tags: BeidafeaturedLibyaLIFGManchester bombPeter MillettUK abassador

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Dutch woman disappears in Tripoli

Dutch woman disappears in Tripoli

HoR adjourns sittings until 18 June, set to discuss new CBL Governor appointment on 4 July session

HoR adjourns sittings until 18 June, set to discuss new CBL Governor appointment on 4 July session

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.