No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zintani IDPs look to Presidency Council to ensure their safe return to Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
June 20, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji,

Tunis, 20 June 2017:

The position of Zintanis seeking to return to their homes in Tripoli was discussed today by the head of the Presidency Council Faiez Serraj and delegation from the town’s displaced peoples committee.

Ways of ensuring a safe return plus compensation for damage to property were among the issues covered.

According to the mayor of Zintan, Mustafa Albaroni, the town has some 20,000 internally displaced people (IDPs), mostly from Tripoli and who fled back to the mountain town three years ago when the hardline Libya Dawn alliance took over the capital. Many of them had lived in the capital almost all their lives.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Court of Appeal issues two rulings stipulating that it does not have jurisdiction to hear appeals against decrees issued by Presidency Council

All recently clashing state and militia forces and their military vehicles will return to their barracks as of yesterday evening

With the hardliners linked to the former Libya Dawn regime pushed out of the capital last month, the Zintanis now feel they can think about returning.

“Some started to return last month,” he told the Libya Herald, but the vast bulk still were in Zintan.

Homes in the city had been burned, damaged or robbed, cars and other vehicles stolen, and shops and businesses looted or destroyed, he said. In addition, many ZIntanis had lost their jobs, having been sacked by the Libya Dawn regime and replaced, Baroni stated, by people from Misrata, Zuwara, Gharian and other places. They needed to be given their jobs back as well, he insisted.

The right of internally displaced people to return to their homes, regardless of where they are in the country, is widely seen as the foundation stone for reconciliation in Libya. According to the International Organization for Migration, in its most recent report, there were just over 240,000 IDPs in Libya as of 7 May. According to it, there were just over 10,000 IDPs in Zintan – half the figure quoted by the mayor.

The reason for the difference is thought to be the fact that many who fled the capital had homes or relatives in Zintan and did not register as displaced.

Tags: LibyaPresidency CouncilZintan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
PC’s western and central military commanders sworn in

PC's western and central military commanders sworn in

Update: Sidra suicide bomber’s other explosives did not detonate

Update: Sidra suicide bomber's other explosives did not detonate

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.