No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fezzan elders reject French president’s plan to open migrant asylum application centres in southern Libya

byMichel Cousins
August 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Fezzan elders reject French president’s plan to open migrant asylum application centres in southern Libya

asda

 

By Hadi Fornaji

French President Macron
French President Macron unveils his plan for migrant asylum  application centres in southern Libya (Photo: Elysée Palace)

Tunis, 1 August 2017:

The Supreme Council of the Tribes and Town in Fezzan has rejected the plan proposed by French President Emmanuel Macron to create what he called “hot spots” in the south of Libya where migrants could apply for asylum.

The plan was announced by Macron last Thursday during a visit to a refugee centre in Orleans. He said that this way the migrants would not have to risk their lives in crossing the Mediterranean only then to have their asylum applications rejected once they arrived in Europe.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UNICEF and France partner in “Baity-My Home” initiative for vulnerable children

It is reported there could also be application centres in Niger and Chad.

In rejecting the idea, which it called an attack on Libya’s sovereignty, the Fezzan council said that Macron’s plan reminded them of 19th-century colonialism where the colonial powers decided they had the right to go anywhere they wanted to do what they wanted. Any attempt to set up such centres in southern Libya would be vigorously opposed, it warned.

It is not clear if Macron discussed the idea with Presidency Council Faiez Serraj and Libyan National Army head Khalifa Hafterwhen they were in Paris for talks at his invitation at the beginning of last week.

Neither has spoken of it, unlike the not dissimilar case of the possible entry of Italian navy vessels into Libyan waters. Hafter and the LNA have condemned any Italian presence;  Serraj has denied ever agreeing to it.

It is unlikely that Hafter would object to an Italian presence but accept that of the French.

The proposal has also caused surprise within Libya where the vast majority of those passing through the country are seen as economic migrants. Their applications for asylum would therefore, presumably, be rejected. Because of this, the logic is they would not bother making any application in the first place but carry on to the coast for the crossing.

Tags: featuredFranceLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Serraj and acting Tobruk mayor meet in Tripoli

Serraj and acting Tobruk mayor meet in Tripoli

More delays in Saadi Qaddafi trial

More delays in Saadi Qaddafi trial

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.