No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Improved security could start return of foreign business says South Korean ambassador

byMichel Cousins
August 3, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Improved security could start return of foreign business says South Korean ambassador

South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chee (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor (Sad

By Libya Herald team.

South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chee (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor (Sad
South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chae (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor Saddek Elkaber (right) and Chuhwan Byun, minister councillor at the South Korean embassy (Photo: CBL)

Tunis, 2 August 2017:

Top Libya officials are pressing South Korea to allow its companies to return to Libya and complete unfinished projects. The call was made in separate talks in Tripoli over the past two days with South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chae by officials with state electricity company GECOL, National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla and Central Bank of Libya (CBL) governor Saddek Elkaber

Referring to suggestions that Libya’s security situation is improving, the ambassador was quoted by NOC as saying that “this encourages companies, not only Korean companies but all foreign companies, to return to work in Libya”. He is also quoted saying that a number of Korean companies would be visiting Libya shortly to discuss a possible return.

However, a Korean official told the Libya Herald this evening that despite the talks, the Korean government still had not decided as to whether Korean companies could return. Similarly, there had been no decision on reopening the Korean embassy.

RELATED POSTS

South Korean Embassy delegation visits Misrata Airport

Justice may be delayed, but it is not absent‎: Former NOC chairman Sanalla on yesterday’s oil closures prison sentences

The ambassador separately met Elkabir and Sanalla today. The Korean National Oil Corporation has had a stake in the Fil field alongside Italy’s Eni and Sanalla wants to encourage as many foreign oil companies as possible to invest in exploration and production so as to increate output.  Sanalla, who stressed the good reputation  that the Korean companies had in Libya, particularly in the oil sector, asked the ambassador to organise a series of conferences with the Korean and Libyan companies to discuss developing cooperation, to be held either in Libya or by televised link.

A return of South Korean companies was also the main subject in the talks with the CBL’s Elkaber.

With Libya continuing to suffer constant power cuts, GECOL is particularly keen to get South Korean companies to return and complete work on power stations. Two Korean engineering giants, Hyundai and Doosan, were building the $.5-billion 1,400-MW Khaleej power station in Sirte and between them had almost a thousand workers on the project until they pulled then out in August 2014. Hyundai was also involved in expanding Tripoli West power station.

Yesterday, the ambassador was given a tour of the Tripoli West station and local officials pressed on him the importance of finishing the upgrade in the hope of securing an early return of the South Koreans.

Tags: CBLfeaturedLibyaMustafa SanallaSouth Korea

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

New chargé d’affaires for Moscow embassy

NOC switches eastern LPG deliveries to Zuweitina

NOC switches eastern LPG deliveries to Zuweitina

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.