No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya losing 360,000 b/d from oilfield closures says NOC

byMichel Cousins
September 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya losing 360,000 b/d from oilfield closures says NOC

By Libya Herald reporter.

NOC TOTAL LOGOS 4 EN

Tunis, 30 August 2017:

Libya is losing 360,000 barrels a day of crude oil production because of pipelines from three western oil fields being forcibly closed, the National Oil Corporation (NOC) says. In financial terms, the loss is worth $160 million a day, it notes.

The three oil fields – El-Fil, Hamada and Sharara – have had to cease production as a result of actions by a Zintani militia calling itself the Reyayna Patrol Brigade. Led by Ashraf Al-Gurj, it claims to be taking the action to force the NOC to invest more in the Zintan area. However, there are reports that Gurj in fact wants to force the authorities to release his cousin Usama, arrested on smuggling charges.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“These gangsters are not only harming the country but their own people,” said NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla. “I call on tribal leaders to cut out this cancer once and for all, by withdrawing protection for these gangsters unless they lift the blockade unconditionally,” he added.

Confirming that force majeure had been declared on all three fields, Sanalla described what was happening as “a national tragedy”.

“Our production was recovering, not quite enough to balance the budget, but enough to give us hope that our financial position could stabilise and reduce the depletion of the savings of the Central Bank to cover the deficit. But now we are sliding backwards. Everybody in the country will suffer because of this criminal act. Enough is enough. Local communities must understand that gangsters like these will never bring any good to anybody. We must work together to build a stable society where the interests of all are respected, or the future will be very bleak for all of us.”

The NOC statement noted that that the militia had closed Line 30 from Sharara oil field to Zawia at the Reyayna 11 days ago, which cut production by around 283,000 b/d. They closed Line 18 from Hamada to Zawia on 25 August, cutting production by 8,000 b/d, and a day later they cut production by 70,000 b/d by breaking into the control room at El-Fil and forcing activity to cease.

The statement also noted that the Reyayna Patrol Brigade claimed to be a part of the southern division of the petroleum facilities guard (PFG). However, it said that PFG commander Idriss Bukhamada had denied any affiliation with the group, calling them a “rogue militia”.

The NOC has made a formal complaint to the chief prosecutor, naming Ashraf Al Gurj and a fellow militia leader, Ali Belaezi.

The NOC’s statement also said that the blockages had affected Zawia refinery, which depends on crude from Sharara. It would l not be able to produce fuel for local areas unless it were supplied from elsewhere, it said. That would mean deliveries by sea.

It added that the pipeline valves at Sharara had been damaged and this could cause an explosion.

 

Tags: El-FilfeaturedHamadaLibyaNOCSharara

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Beida government claims evidence of Tripoli activist Banun being held in Hadba prison by Khaled Sharif

Another tanker detained by Libyan coastguard, plus a trawler

Another tanker detained by Libyan coastguard, plus a trawler

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.