No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US special forces seize second Benghazi mission attack suspect

byNigel Ash
October 31, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Ahmed Bukhatallah, the first Benghazi consulate suspect to be seized by the US (File Photo)
Ahmed Bukhatallah, the first Benghazi mission suspect seized by the US in 2014  (File Photo)

Tripoli and Tunis, 30 October 2017:

In an operation in Misrata, US special forces have seized a second man suspected of involvement in the September 2012 Benghazi US mission attack in which ambassador Christ Stevens and three other Americans were slain.

US president Donald Trump confirmed that the suspect, whom he named as Mustafa Al-Imam, was seized around midnight on Sunday by US commandos.

“Our memory is deep and our reach is long,” he said, “and we will not rest in our efforts to find and bring the perpetrators of the heinous attacks in Benghazi to justice”.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Officials in Washington were reported as saying that the raid had been mounted with the knowledge of the Presidency Council (PC) in Tripoli.  A “senior security official” in the  Government of National Accord (GNA) Abdel-Rahman Al-Taweeel was quoted by AP saying that Al-Imam was not a Libyan but that he did not know his nationality.  Other sources have said that the seized suspect has used a variety of aliases.

Few details of the raid have emerged except that there were no casualties among the special forces. Al-Imam was flown to a US warship and handed over to members of the Justice Department. He is due to be taken to the United States.

Normally reliable sources on social media have said that Al-Imam was captured at a farmhouse and have speculated that the Americans were working with a local militia.

Al-Imam had appeared in a video of the Benghazi attacks, an administration official told broadcaster CNN. It is otherwise unclear what role he played in the assault, though one US source described him as an “instigator”.

He is the second Benghazi consulate suspect to be seized by the Americans. In June 2014 Ansar Al-Sharia leader Ahmed Bukhatallah, was captured in Benghazi.   This month, Bukhatallah’s full trial began in the federal court in Washington. He has pleaded not guilty to 18 charges which include murder, supporting terrorism and the destruction of US property.

A year before Bukhatallah’s arrest, US special forces had seized Nazih Abdul-Hamed Nabih Al-Ruqaii, whose nomme de guerre was Abu Anas Al-Libi, from near  his Tripoli home. Said to be a prominent Al-Qaeda leader, he was wanted in connection with the 1998 coordinated truck bombings of the US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya in which 200 people perished. Libi died of cancer in January 2015 on the eve of his trial in New York.

Hailing this latest arrest, Trump said today: “The United States will continue to support our Libyan partners to ensure that ISIS (the so-called Islamic State) and other terrorist groups do not use Libya as a safe haven for attacks against United States citizens or interests, Libyans, and others.”

He added: “Libya’s long-term stability and security are linked to its ability to form a unified government and military”.

This article has been updated. It originally referred to the “Benghazi consulate”. In fact no US consulate had existed in the city since the 1960s. The attacked building and its annex was actually a “Special Mission”. 

Tags: Ahmed BukhatallahChris StevensDonald TrumpfeaturedLibyaMisrataMustafa Al-ImamUS special forces

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

New offshore gas field will sustain Mellitah complex "for years"

UNSMIL slams deadly Derna air raids

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.