No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Accusations over Derna bombing continue as condemnation grows

byMichel Cousins
November 1, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Accusations over Derna bombing continue as condemnation grows

Thousands attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Thousands attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)
Several thousand attended the funerals yesterday of those killed in the air raids in Derna (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 1 November 2017:

Accusations of responsibility for Monday evening’s bombing raid on Derna in which at least 15 civilians died, including 12 women and children, are being levelled at both the Libya National Army (LNA) and the Egyptian air force. The accusations come as the ambassadors of France, Italy the UK and US today joined the chorus of condemnation of the attack, while the Presidency Council has declared three days of national mourning.

The accusation that Field Marshal Khalifa Hafter and the LNA carried out the airstrikes has come from the president of the State Council, Abdulrahman Sewehli, as well as from the Justice and Construction Party (J&C).

Describing the killings as a political watershed, Sewehli accused the “eastern command” – in other words the LNA – of responsibility. He called on the UN Security Council to meet in emergency session to decide on action in accordance with UN Resolution 1973.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Development & Reconstruction Fund inaugurates Derna’s 2,000 housing project

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

Likewise calling for the UN to take action, the J&C labelled Hafter and the LNA as terrorists, accusing them of war crimes for targeting unarmed civilians.

In Egypt, however, although the country’s foreign ministry yesterday condemned “in the strongest terms” the incident, the online newspaper Mada Masr reported that it had been told by an Egyptian government source that the airstrikes were carried out by the Egyptian air force. The reason, according to the source, was to pre-empt plans by militants in Derna to cross into Egypt and carry out terror attacks there.

The Derna Mujahideen Shoura Council had already accused the Egyptians of carrying out the raids.

There have been previous attacks by the Egyptian air force. Last May, Cairo announced that it had carried out airstrikes on Derna in collaboration with the LNA, hitting strategically important sites held by the DMSC. The attack was in retaliation for the massacre of 28 Christians in central Egypt’s Minya province. Cairo claimed that it had been organised with the help of militants based in Derna. The town was also bombed in 2015 by the Egyptians in revenge for the Islamic State beheadings in Sirte of 21 Christians, 20 of them Egyptians.

Just last week, Egyptian planes hit a convoy of eight vehicles crossing the border from Libya into Egypt and which the air force said were carrying weapons and ammunition for terrorists. The Egyptians apparently believe that arms originated from Derna.

Monday’s raid followed the 21 October attack by terrorists in Egypt’s Western Desert in which 16 police and conscripts were killed.

In today’s joint statement condemning the air strikes, the four ambassadors also condemned the torture and summary execution of 36 men whose bodies were found in Al-Abyar last week, insisting that anyone suspected of carrying out such executions and torture, or who failed to prevent them, be investigated and put in trial. They also said that their governments would pursue “at the international level” anyone involved in human rights crimes.

This is seen as referring to possible arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court.

Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano had already issued his own statement condemning the attack and demanding that humanitarian organisations be allowed access to the town to deal with the wounded and “relieve the suffering of the people”.

In its condemnation of the killings, the Presidency Council has announced three days national mourning. The DMSC-dominated Derna local council had already declared three days of mourning.

The killings and the humanitarian situation in Derna as a result of the LNA blockade were meanwhile one of the main subjects in discussions today between PC head Faiez Serraj and UN deputy special envoy Maria Ribeiro who is also the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Libya.

The number of casualties of Monday’s raid in which one or more private houses were hit, is still uncertain. While it is reported that at least fifteen people died, reports from Derna say that 20 civilians were killed and a further 23 wounded. Of the dead, all are said to have been children apart from two women and a man.

Tags: DernafeaturedKhalifa HafterLibyaLNAUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Nine dead children in UNSMIL's October civilian body count

Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Minister of Industry and Minerals discusses with Chinese companies prospects for industrial and investment cooperation

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.