No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Comic Con organizers: Two out of five detained by RADA released

bySami Zaptia
November 20, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Comic Con organizers: Two out of five detained by RADA released

Saudi Comic Con is going ahead in the Saudi capital this week and is officially backed by the state (Social Media).

By Sami Zaptia.

two of the five detainees have been released by RADA. RADA had raided and detained over 20 people from the Comic Con event in Tripoli two weeks ago.
two of the five detainees have been released by RADA. RADA had raided and detained over 20 people from the Comic Con event in Tripoli two weeks ago.

London, 20 November 2017:

A source close to the Comic Con organizers arrested by the Salafi Abdelraul Kara-led RADA (Special Deterrence Force), a militia recognized by the Tripoli Ministry of Interior and aligned with the internationally-recognized Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council / Government of National Accord – confirmed to Libya Herald that two of the event organizers have been released.

The two had been released on Saturday. The close source who asked for unanimity for fear for their safety said that ”RADA had taken them to the Attorney General’s / Public Prosecutor’s Office and tried to get him to charge them. But they were released because the AG Office could not find anything to charge them with”, the source explained.

”RADA had been promising to release them nearly every day since they were detained from the event”, they explained. ”Everyday their family members would visit RADA and ask about them and they would be told they would be released soon”, they added.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

Libya Herald wanted to speak to the released two, but they declined ”saying they are afraid”, said the close source who is in direct contact with them.

The source said the three still being held ”may be charged with something” adding that it is not clear what that charge may be.

It will be recalled that the Faiez Serraj PC/GNA has come in for further criticism for ”not even lifting a finger or saying a word to try to help them”, a source close to the detained said.

Libya Herald had contacted two prominent members of the office of Faiez Serraj but received absolutely no response on the matter. UNSMIL, meanwhile, had called for the release of all those detained by RADA.

It will be recalled that RADA had stormed the Comic Con event a week last Friday and detained

about 20 people including visitors. The detention included the 5 out of 6 members of the organizing committee that were present at the Dat Il Imad conference centre. The sixth member evaded detention fortuitously as he had briefly left the show to run an errand. He is currently in hiding in fear for his safety. The balance of the 20 people had been released quite quickly.

The organisers were ostensibly accused of a number of crimes against public morals and Islam. These included agnosticism, atheism, holding masonic ideas, believing in Halloween, distorting the minds of youth, and kufer (abandoning Islam).

They were also accused of inciting violence through some artwork which depicted knives and violent scenes. Some art work was confiscated as evidence.

The organisers had received permission from another Militia (Nawasi) which guards the Dat-Il-Imad complex of office towers on the sea front and had also signed a contract and agreed not to offend public morals. The event was visited by organizers and no objections were raised.

”Some of those who were released had received a beating, had had their head shaved bald and were given a religious lecture. We were wondering if they had beaten so badly that they left marks on them and that is why they kept postponing their release ”waiting for the marks to go”, he said.

”They were told (by RADA) that Libya was a Muslim country, not a free/liberal country”, the source explained.

 

Saudi Comic Con is going ahead in the Saudi capital this week and is officially backed by the state (Social Media).
Saudi Comic Con is going ahead in the Saudi capital this week and is officially backed by the state (Social Media).

 

Ironically, the Kara-led Salafi RADA is inspired by a Saudi clergyman where the Saudi Comic Con is about to start in the capital Riyadh from 23-25 November. It is officially backed by the Saudi state General Entertainment Authority.

 

 

Tags: Abdel Rauf KaraComic Convention Comic Con comi conFaiez Al-SerrajfeaturedPC/GNA Presidency Council Government of National AccordRada SDF Special Deterrence ForceSalafiSalafistUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Thinni orders stop to all Tripoli-Tobruk flights

Thinni orders stop to all Tripoli-Tobruk flights

UN chief Guterres “horrified” by Libyan slavery reports

UN chief Guterres "horrified" by Libyan slavery reports

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.