No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

PC declares local state of emergency as Mitiga airport is attacked by pro ‘‘terrorist’’ militia

bySami Zaptia
February 22, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
PC declares local state of emergency as Mitiga airport is attacked by pro ‘‘terrorist’’ militia

Faiez Serraj in his capacity as the PC's Commander-in-Chief dissolves the 33rd Infantry Brigade led by Bashir Khalfalla ''Bugra'' (Source: PC)..

By Jamie Prentis,

Faiez Serraj in his capacity as the PC's Commander-in-Chief dissolves the 33rd Infantry Brigade led by Bashir Khalfalla ''Bugra'' (Source: PC)..
Faiez Serraj in his capacity as the PC’s Commander-in-Chief dissolves the 33rd Infantry Brigade led by Bashir Khalfalla ”Bugra” (Source: PC)..

Tripoli, 15 January 2018:

The Faiez Serraj led Presidency Council (PC) declared a local state of emergency around Tripoli’s Mitiga airport today after a coalition of militias aligned to it successfully repelled an attack on the airport compound.

Early this morning the 33rd  Infantry Brigade, a  militia recognised by the PC’s Ministry of Defence led by Bashir Khalfallah, more commonly known by his nicknamed Al-Bugra (“the cow”) attacked Mitiga with about 50 armed vehicles.

They were seeking to free some prisoners from the jail housed within the Mitiga compound. The prisoners are currently detained by the pro-PC Rada (Special Deterrence Force), which controls the area around Mitiga and the airport itself.

RELATED POSTS

HSC welcomes peaceful resolution of Tripoli government-SDF / RADA standoff over Mitiga airport and prison control

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Small arms, heavy weapons and artillery were used by both sides in clashes that lasted for about three hours. The assailants were believed to have gained a brief entry to the compound from the rear Tajura gate.

Precise casualty figures are unclear, with some reports saying as many as 15 people had been killed and at least 37 injured. However, the fighting has now stopped and Bugra’s militia has been pushed back to the outskirts of Tajoura where they are being pursued.

As the assault developed, Rada was supported by at least 10 other PC-aligned brigades, including the more prominent Haithem Tajouri’s Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade, Abdul Ghani Al-Kikli’s (“Ghneiwa”) Abu Sleem Central Security Force and the Nawasi Brigade.

Retribution has been swift by the pro-PC forces, with Rada spokesman Ahmed Ben Salem telling the Libya Herald it “was impossible to count” how many had been arrested. He added that at no time did the Bugra fighters enter Mitiga airport, though Ben Salem said three planes had been damaged.

Afriqiyah Airways announced two of its planes had been hit and that it was cancelling flights for the next three days until the situation became clearer. Some planes took advantage of the lull in fighting by taking off to seek safety elsewhere before flights were suspended. Some homes near the airport also sustained damage.

In a statement the PC decried the attack and said it was an attempt to release ‘‘terrorists…such as IS and Al-Qaeda and others’’ from detention. The others could include members of the BDB and Benghazi Shura Council. They criticised spoiler efforts to endanger the stability of Tripoli and the Libyan political transition process. The PC applauded the cohesion of the forces supporting it in responding to the threat by the Bugra militia.

Bugra, who receives backing from Tajoura, is known to support former Libya Dawn “prime minister” Khalifa Ghwell and the former LFG, and to be deeply opposed to both Rada and Haithem Tajuri. In December, Bugra launched a similar attack on Mitiga, albeit with minimal casualties.

In a later decree, the PC announced that it had dissolved Bugra’s 33rd Infantry Brigade and ordered all its equipment and ammunition be transfered to the General Staff.

Tags: Bashir Khalfalla Bugra 33rd Infantry BrigadefeaturedflightsHaithem TajouriLFGLibya DawnMaetiga AirportMaetiga Mitiga Airportpc presidency councilRada SDF Special Deterrence ForceterroristsTRB Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigades

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Sudanese militia attacks and kills six LNA members near Jaghboub

Sudanese militia attacks and kills six LNA members near Jaghboub

Activists condemn Tripoli militia action, call for legitimate army

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.