No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC declares force majeure at Ras Lanuf and Sidra port terminals

bySami Zaptia
July 12, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

NOC TOTAL LOGOS 4 EN

London, 15 June 2018:

Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) announced force majeure on crude oil loadings from its Ras Lanuf and Sidra port terminals as of yesterday (Thursday 14 June 2018).  It confirmed that ‘‘an armed militia attacked both terminals, led by Ibrahim Jadhran’’, resulting in their closure. NOC evacuated all NOC employees as a precautionary measure.

In its force majeure announcement released yesterday, NOC chairman Mustafa Sanallasaid that “The safety and security of our workers is our utmost priority. All other matters are secondary. We continue to monitor the situation on the ground. We will work with local and governmental partners to restore order and full production capacity as soon as possible.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

“Individuals or political groups who attempt to capture Libya’s and NOC oil installations, blockade production, or attempt to make NOC a bargaining chip must be brought to justice. These are not patriotic acts, they are war crimes and should receive total condemnation from all Libyans and the international community.”, he added.

Sanalla said that the NOC will pursue by all possible legal means those who threaten its workers, disrupt production and attempt to illegally secure production and shipment facilities. The NOC estimated that blockades led by Jadhran ‘‘have cost the Libyan state tens of billions of dollars’’.

It will be recalled that former Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) Central Region Commander Ibrahim Jadran launched a militia attack on the oil crescent yesterday morning, taking control of both Sidra and Ras Lanuf oil port terminals from the Khalifa Hafter-aligned Libyan National Army (LNA).

Jadran, it will be recalled, had been in control of the region and had imposed an embargo on oil production and exports prior to being ejected from the area by an attack by Hafter’s LNA in September 2016.

Jadran announced the launch of his operation in a seven-minute video circulating on social media. In it he claimed to be freeing the region from the ‘‘terrorist and extremist’’ Karama (Dignity) forces aligned to Hafter and to end the ‘‘injustice’’ in the oil crescent.

Jadran claimed he was backed by his local Magharba tribe and the Tebu tribe. However, there are reports that he has been backed by the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), the arch-enemies of Hafter and his Karama movement who themselves had been forcibly evicted from Benghazi in a war with Hafter. Unconfirmed reports also say that he has some rebel Chadian forces participating in his attack – rather than any Tebu forces.

In its official statement yesterday, the NOC had said that the loss in oil production as a result of the shut-down is expected to be around 240,000 bpd and a planned tanker entry today to Sidra port had been postponed.

In a statement yesterday afternoon, Faiez Serraj, in his guise as head of the Presidency Council and Commander-in-Chief of the Tripoli-based Libyan Army, condemned that attack and denied having given it any support.

UNSMIL also condemned the attack. In its statement yesterday, it said it ‘‘condemns the attack on the Libyan oil ports of Ras Lanuf & Es Sider. This dangerous escalation in Oil Crescent area, puts Libya’s economy in jeopardy & risks igniting a widespread confrontation in the country. Calm must be restored immediately. The unity of Libya must come first’’.

At the time of writing there had been no official statement from Hafter or his LNA, the House of Representatives in Tobruk nor the High State Council.

 

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/06/14/noc-evacuates-sidra-and-ras-lanuf-after-fighting-erupts-in-area/

 

Tags: featuredforce majeureHafterIbrahim JadranNOC chairman Mustafa SanallaNOC National Oil CorporationRas Lanuf and Sidra

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

US Africom conducts airstrike in Libya killing one

NOC confirms ‘‘significant damage’’ of Harouge oil storage tanker, calls for end to militia fighting in oil crescent

NOC confirms ‘‘significant damage’’ of Harouge oil storage tanker, calls for end to militia fighting in oil crescent

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.