No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amazigh Supreme Council calls for boycott of planned constitution referendum

bySami Zaptia
July 26, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Amazigh Supreme Council logo 

London, 26 July 2018:

The Amazigh Supreme Council of Libya (ASC), the main elected political body that represents the Libyan Amazigh ethnic minority, has called on all ‘‘Amazigh citizens to boycott the so-called referendum over a racist unjust draft constitution’’.

In a statement released Tuesday (24 July), the ASC said that with reference to its statement at the constitutional rights gathering and to its declaration regarding boycotting the constitutional process, it affirms it continued commitment to apply the concept of ‘‘we do not recognize those who do not recognize us’’.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba and Menfi stress use of polling feedback to establish consensus basis for constitutional process: report and analysis

Aldabaiba hits back at opportunist ‘‘warmonger’’ HoR Speaker Saleh

The ASC added that they ‘‘shall not recognize the constitution resulting from this (planned) referendum, for it is an illegitimate document due to its violation of local and international conventions and treaties ratified by Libya’’.

Apportioning blame, the ASC said that they held ‘‘responsible the so-called Committee of 58, the House of Representatives, the High State Council, UNSMIL and everyone supporting this exclusionist project for the resulting lack of unity and instability in Libya’’.

The ASC added that those that support the push for this exclusionist constitution ‘‘went on applying procedures to issue a referendum, fully ignoring the lack of consensus with the Amazigh people as a genuine partner in constructing Libya’’.

Warning of a divisive period ahead, the statement went on to conclude that the ASC ‘‘announce that the forthcoming phase will be the beginning of a new political and social rift. It will be a turning point in the Amazigh political mechanisms, and this clear rejection of the Amazigh people as a genuine partner will force us to reciprocate such treatment’’.

It will be recalled that the ASC has boycotted the constitution drafting process and the 2014 Constitutional Drafting Authority elections.

Under the law setting up the CDA, its draft constitution has to be supported by two-thirds plus one of its members, and at least one each of the two members from the three ethnic minorities: the Amazigh, Tebu and Tuareg.

The two Tebu members have already come out against the draft constitution, thus theoretically invalidating it but the Amazigh do not have any CDA members having boycotted the elections to it in February 2014.

In August last year, the ASC said that it was considering declaring an interim constitution “to regulate” the country’s Amazigh areas.

However, the UN, France and other members of the international community seem to have chosen to overlook this detail and are keen that a constitution is adopted paving way for elections – as soon as possible.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/07/25/hor-to-meet-next-monday-for-vote-on-referendum-law-for-constitution/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/02/15/supreme-court-rules-that-its-not-within-jurisdiction-of-beida-court-to-rule-on-constitutional-affairs-clears-way-for-hor-to-legislate-for-a-referendum/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2015/12/24/amazigh-supreme-council-towards-exclusionist-skhirat-process/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2015/10/17/formal-transfer-of-amazigh-supreme-council/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2014/04/12/amazigh-supreme-council-continues-boycott-of-constitutional-assembly/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/08/02/activists-call-on-hor-to-reject-draft-constitution-as-amazigh-plan-legal-action-against-it/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/07/31/cda-calls-on-election-commission-to-prepare-referendum-on-draft-constitution-as-tebu-representatives-reject-it/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/07/17/end-of-2018-libyan-elections-should-only-be-held-if-conditions-are-right-salame-to-unsc/

 

Tags: Amazigh Supreme CouncilconstitutionfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesParis conference May 2018referendumUN Ghassan Salame Action Plan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya to continue closure of its main Tunisian land border crossing until Tunisia provides security

CBL refutes LNA claims of funding terrorists and Jadran’s recent oilfield attack

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.