No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN calls for ceasefire and calm as militia clashes in south Tripoli lead to numerous deaths and injuries

bySami Zaptia
August 27, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

UNSMIL logo

London, 27 August 2018:

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has today called on all militias to observe an immediate ceasefire and restore calm in southern Tripoli.

The call comes following clashes today in southern Tripoli between militias aligned to the internationally-recognized Presidency Council and Government of National Accord headed by Faiez Serraj. The indiscriminate firing has led to deaths and injuries to civilians as well as collateral damage. The Serraj Ministry of Health has reported 5 deaths and 31 injuries so far.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

UNSMIL said that it was ‘‘following the clashes in and around Tripoli with grave concern and calls on all parties to immediately cease all military action’’.

It added that it was ‘‘concerned by the use of indiscriminate fire and heavy weapons in densely populated residential areas, endangering civilian lives and reminds all parties of their duty to protect civilians, in accordance with international humanitarian and human rights law’’.

It stressed that ‘‘political aims must not be pursued through violence and warns that the build-up of armed groups and hostile acts and rhetoric risk a wider military confrontation.

UNSMIL reaffirmed its support to the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council and Government of National Accord and called ‘‘for serious efforts by all sides to unify the institutions of the country.  The Mission stands ready to support all efforts to de-escalate the situation and offers the use of its good offices for this purpose’’, it concluded in its statement.

The UNSMIL call for calm and ceasefire came after the Tarhuna-based 7th Infantry Brigade, more popularly known as the Kani or Kaniat Brigade, clashed with a coalition of Tripoli-based militias on the southern outskirts of Tripoli. There has been a build-up since yesterday in the Khalat al-Furjan, Salah al-Deen, Gaser Ben Ghasheer, Wadi Rabea areas since yesterday.

Last night no direct clashes were reported but both sets of militias started firing into the air, traumatising neighbourhoods as homes were reported to vibrate. Tanks and Howitzer canons were reported to be moving towards south Tripoli.

There are two main competing narratives explaining the clashes. The Tripoli-based narrative is that the Kani Brigade is and has been attempting to creep northwards towards and into Tripoli in order to expand its zone of influence and create a base in the capital.

They are attempting to gain militia military control of neighbourhoods already populated by a large number if not majority of people originating from Trahuna.

The Kani brigade narrative says that it is defending its territory south of Tripoli and that the Tripoli-based militias, and specifically the Gnewa/Abdel-Ghani al-Kikli controlled militia, has been attempting to expand its control into southern Tripoli and into the Tripoli International Airport region where the Kani Brigade has had checkpoints for months.

Whichever variation of the main narratives is the true explanation, the incident is further proof if any were still needed, that the greater Tripoli region is still very much controlled by a ‘‘cartel of militias’’ beyond the direct and real control of the Tripoli-based government. These militias are primarily concern with defending and expanding their own spheres of influence and power – at the direct expense of the central state and its institutions.

It is worth remembering that all militias involved in the clashes are recognized, paid and nominally-aligned to the internationally-recognized Faiez Serraj administration. Ironically, the Tripoli government, as with every previous militia clash, will also pay for their domestic or overseas medical treatment after the fighting has ended.

The Presidential Guard, the only army in western Libya created and loyal to the internationally-recognized Faiez Serraj administration, has condemned the militia military activity. The Tripoli Security Directorate, part of the Faiez Serraj Ministry of Interior has also condemned the fighting.

The Serraj Ministry of Health has announced that it has made preparations to receive those injured in the fighting as well as establishing a field hospital near the fighting line.

Tags: Abdul-Ghani Al-Kikli Gnewa GneiwaFaiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedGaser Ben GhasheerKani Brigadekhalat al-FurjanmilitiasTarhunaTripoliUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Update: Temporary overnight ceasefire agreed in south Tripoli militia fighting

HoR fails again to vote on referendum law. Saleh threatens to bypass HoR and organize elections for a temporary president

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.