No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libya to activate stalled housing projects through local companies

bySami Zaptia
October 11, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Libya's Tripoli-based government plans to guarantee bank loans for local companies to reactivate stalled housing projects (Photo from archives: Sami Zaptia).
Libya’s Tripoli-based government plans to guarantee bank loans for local companies to reactivate stalled housing projects (Photo from archives: Sami Zaptia).

London, 11 October 2018:

Libya’s Tripoli-based government has revealed that it will activate its stalled housing projects using local companies, as part of its new economic reform plan.

The revelation came from Ahmed Maetig, deputy head of Libya’s internationally-recognized  Presidency Council (PC), during a Tripoli forum on the government’s new economic reform plan on Tuesday.

Maetig stressed the importance of the economic reforms and the initial phases centred around the imposition of a tax/levy on the sale of foreign currency for private use.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli PM Aldabaiba reviews his 150,000-unit house-building initiative

Libya and Turkey discuss settling pre 2011 construction contracts, follow up on 2024-25 contracts and on programme for resuming stalled projects

This policy is hoped to bring in liquidity to the country’s drained banking sector while reducing the black-market exchange rate. The foreign exchange revenues will also be used to reduce the government’s recurring budget deficit.

The new economic reform plan also involves Libya’s local banks offering loans to local companies wishing to complete some of the country’s plethora of stalled housing projects.

Maetig stressed that only some stalled housing projects will be reactivated: “where it was possible”. He did not give any further details, but said more would be revealed by December.

He did say that local companies were free to go into joint ventures with foreign companies.

More importantly, Maetig said that it would be left to banks to decide which stalled housing projects would be reactivated – as they would be providing the financing to the construction companies.

It will be recalled that previously Libyan governments had formed committees to attempt to assess the viability of stalled projects. By placing the responsibility on banks, the government can avoid having to make a political decision.

Maetig said that he Libyan government would act as guarantors of the loans given by local banks.

Maetig did not make any comment regarding the status of foreign contractors viz-a-viz some of Libyas stalled housing projects. Nor did he clarify if any of the stalled projects planned for reactivation were started by foreign contractors.

It is noteworthy that the Libyan government has prioritized incomplete housing projects above many other types of stalled projects.

This political decision reflects the country-wide housing deficit and the confidence that there will be no difficulty in selling any completed housing units.

It also reflects the social importance of housing. The shortage of housing is seen as the biggest barriers to marriage by young couples.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/10/11/cbl-not-delaying-economic-reforms-pcs-maetig/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/03/06/libyas-stalled-us-110-bn-22000-contract-projects-to-be-reviewed-again/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/01/11/gna-forms-committee-to-review-prioritize-stalled-projects-within-10-days-for-11-sectors/

 

Tags: bankseconomic reformfeaturedhousing projectsjoint ventureloansstalled projects

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Italy officially invites Ageela Saleh to November Libya conference

Italy officially invites Ageela Saleh to November Libya conference

HSC debates PC reform, proposes amendments for a vote on Monday

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.