No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj calls for calm and prevention of blood-loss between Libyans in south

bySami Zaptia
February 22, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

El-Sallak said yesterday that Serraj wanted no blood spilt beween Libyans in the fightng in the south (Photo: PC).
El-Sallak said yesterday that Serraj wanted no blood spilt beween Libyans in the fightng in the south (Photo: PC).

London, 22 February 2019:

Mohamed El-Sallak, official Spokesperson for Faiez Serraj, head of Libya’s internationally-recognized Presidency Council and Government of National Accord, stressed the keenness of Serraj to prevent the spilling of Libyan blood in the country’s southern region and not to have any clash or confrontations between the brothers of the one nation, whatever the controversy.

“The security and stability of the citizens of the south is higher than any political tension,” he said at a press conference Thursday held at the Media Center of the Prime Minister’s office in Tripoli.

El-Sallak also conveyed the emphasis placed by Serraj on the need to remove civilian installations from any military operations and not endanger the lives of civilians.

RELATED POSTS

61 false Family Records, 225 National ID Nos. and Libyan passports suspended – legal proceedings against Civil Registry Office conspirators initiated

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

The reference here is to the fighting by the Khalifa-Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA) in the south of Libya. Hafter has claimed he is imposing security and fighting criminals and Chadian mercenaries in the south.

But his military campaign in the south has also moved on to imposing security on the oilfields. This includes “liberating” the Sharara oilfield which was shut down from armed local protesters.

On the otherhand, continuing his ambivalent stance and mixed signals on Khalifa Hafter, the (LNA) and their role, Serraj nevertheless reaffirmed that he shared what he referred to as the “common objectives, foremost among which is the fight against terrorism, extremism, organized crime and mercenaries from outside the borders”, calling for a common stand in the face of these dangers.

This is a clear signal that he supports Hafter’s military efforts in some regards, a coded message that will not go down well with the enemies of Hafter and most of Tripoli’s main militias.

The National ID Number database crisis

With regards to the National ID Number system and its database being allegedly compromised, he explained that Serraj had instructed the Civil Affairs Authority to take the necessary measures to deal with any technical matters and to ensure the integrity of the system and the database, which was of importance and impact on security.

The alleged compromise of the National ID Number database has been used by the Central Bank of Libya Governor as his reason for withholding the distribution of the hard currency allowance.

The head of the Civil Affairs Authority, onbthe other hand, has said in Libyan media that the number of fake ID numbers is not as great as has been suggested. But he as agreed that any kind of elections should be delayed until the matter is looked into.

Either way, the news has caused great alarm in Libya with fears that any future elections can be swayed by manipulation of the National ID Number.

Munich conference

With regard to the diplomatic meetings held by the President of the Council on the sidelines of last week’s Munich Security conference, Serraj expressed his satisfaction with the conclusions of the meetings held with various international political and military officials, which touched upon the most important files and their ways of supporting the Government of National Accord to fulfill its aims and the need to harmonize the international stance on Libya and make a real contribution to moving the political process forward.

The reference by Serraj for the need for the “unification of the international stance” on Libya is a not-so-veiled call for countries such as France, Egypt, UAE, Italy, Turkey and Qatar etc to all exclusively get behind the intenationally-recognized PC/GNA.

France, Egypt, UAE and Saudi Arabia are in reality considered to be allies of Khalifa Hafter.

On the other hand, Turkey and Qatar are considered to support the Libyan “Islamist” political stream.

Italy and France are in open conflict in pursuing their narrow national interests in Libya which conflict – rather than pursuing a unified EU stance.

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyMunich Security ConferenceNational ID Numberpress conferencesouth

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Civilians caught in tightening Derna siege: HRW

New mall opens in Tripoli

New mall opens in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.