NOC and partners commit US$ 20 to municipalities adjacent to Akakus oil sites in Southern and Western Libya
By Sami Zaptia.
London, 7 March 2019:
Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) reported yesterday that it and a group of international partners made up of Repsol, OMV, Total, and Equinor, known as the ’Repsol Consortium’, have signed a US$ 20-million agreement to support a series of sustainable development projects essential for residents adjacent to sites operated by NOC subsidiary Akakus.
The US$ 20-million fund agreement signed at NOC’s Tripoli headquarters on March 4, 2019, will support projects in Ubari, Sebha, Zintan, Jado, Al Riyayna, Yefren, Al Rujban and Zawia over the next two years.
The NOC says the agreement demonstrates a joint commitment to raising living standards and support for all regions and communities nearby oil and gas operations.
Mr Khaled Bukhtwa, General Manager of NOC’s General Department of Safety said: “We are very pleased to conclude this deal and thank our partners for their collaboration and level of commitment to NOC’s sustainable development framework. We look forward to making these projects a reality.
“These projects were chosen after careful study of the immediate regional needs and long term aspirations of local Libyan communities. We are proud to do our part in helping the local economy by providing local youth with the skills and training they need to create businesses and jobs,” added Bukhtwa.
Examples of projects to be implemented include:
• Potable water infrastructure in El Wadi and Al Jabal municipalities – including drilling of wells, installation and maintenance of new and existing water reservoirs, and the delivery of well pumps;
• Support for the Zawia Diabetes Treatment Centre;
• A cultural institution, capacity building centre, and training institute in Ubari;
• Youth assistance programmes, including maintenance of the Al Wafa club in Ubari;
• NOC-led training programmes for young entrepreneurs focused on teaching young professionals how to maintain various engineering equipment.