No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thousands demonstrate against Hafter Tripoli attack amidst international split on Libya

bySami Zaptia
April 21, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Thousands demonstrate against Hafter Tripoli attack amidst international split on Libya

By Sami Zaptia.

Thousands demonstrate in Tripoli against Hafter and his attack on Tripoli, as well as his perceived ally France (Photo: PC/GNA).

London, 20 April 2019:

For the second Friday running, thousands took part in demonstrations in Tripoli and Misrata against Khalifa Hafter and his Libyan National Army (LNA) for their attack on Tripoli.

Besides Hafter and his LNA, France was singled out for criticism as many demonstrators wore yellow vests to mimic the anti Emmanuel Macron Paris demonstrators.

The war losses continued, meanwhile, as the World Health Organization reported 227 deaths and 1,128 wounded.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan Libya report to UN Security Council

While Britain and Italy continued to seek an end to the fighting and a return to dialogue, LNA Spokesperson, Ahmed Mesmari “welcomed the international political support for the LNA”.

The welcome comes after the revelation by the Whitehouse on Friday that Donald Trump had spoken by phone to Khalifa Hafter earlier in the week. They had discussed “ongoing counterterrorism efforts”.

A White House statement said that in the phone call on Monday, Trump “recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources, and the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system”.

Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan also said that Trump supported Haftar’s “role in counterterroism” and that Washington needed Haftar’s “support in building democratic stability there in the region.”

The U.S. stance on Libya widens and brings into the open the international split on Libya policy and puts Ghassan Salame and UNSMIL in even more difficult position.

It also questions the international paradox of how on the one hand, the U.S and France maintain they fully support Salame, UNSMIL and the exclusive recognition of the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council and Government of National Accord, while, on the other hand, and in practice, they support Hafter militarily.

On the battlefield, the LNA claimed that they had gone on the offensive on a number of fronts in the Tripoli fighting. They admitted that fierce fighting has been ongoing for a number of days near Kasarat, Swani and Aziziya and claim that they have now recovered the city of Aziziya that they were reported to have lost yesterday to the pro Faiez Serraj forces.

Tags: BritaindemonstrationfeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyRussiaTripoli fightingUN Security CouncilUS president Donald Trump

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Amidst a fighting stalemate: The Pope calls for peace in Libya, death toll rises and a state of emergency is announced in Tripoli

Tripoli conflict continues on multiple fronts as death and wounded count rises

Tripoli conflict continues on multiple fronts as death and wounded count rises

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.