No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL condemns continuing truce violations as its beleaguered Libya political track negotiations in Geneva go ahead – despite boycotts

bySami Zaptia
February 28, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 28 February 2020:

The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) strongly condemned the continuing Tripoli truce violations yesterday. The truce had been declared on 12 January but has been much violated since.

UNSMIL was particularly irked by the most recent repeated bombings over the last three days of Mitiga airport, the capital’s only functioning airport. The airport closed for a few hours and then reopened – in a now well-rehearsed routine practiced over the years since the 2011 revolution and particularly since the Khalifa Hafter attack to take Tripoli since 4 April 2019.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL said that Mitiga is a vital and important outlet for thousands of Libyans in the greater Tripoli area. It is also a vital entry and exit point for all the international diplomats, NGO’s and UN agencies.

The truce violations are particularly embarrassing for the UNSMIL as they come about as it is amid brokering its beleaguered ‘‘political track’’ Libya talks in Geneva.

In its condemnation statement, UNSMIL said that these truce violations come as Libyans and the United Nations are working hard across the three tracks to end the fighting, find final solutions to the Libyan crisis and end the suffering of the Libyan people, which is worsening every day.

The beleaguered UNSMIL-brokered Libya political track negotiations held in Geneva went ahead Wednesday despite being boycotted by the internationally recognized House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk, the internationally recognized High State Council (HSC) in Tripoli and the breakaway HoR inTripoli.

There were supposed to be 13 delegates from the HoR and 13 from the Hight State Council. The other 14 ‘‘independents’’ had been selected by UNSMIL. 

Lists have appeared on social media of the independent delegates. But no official list has been published by UNSMIL.  This lack of information and of transparency was used by those opposed to negotiations to undermine the talks. 

It will be recalled that the second round of the Libya 5+5 Joint Military Commission talks ended on 23 January. UNSMIL had issued an encouraging statement about the talks, suggesting that they had been positive and that there was underlying agreement between the two sides.

However, sources from both sides indicated that there was no agreement on any key matters at the talks, and that there was no reason for Ghassan Salame’s optimism.

Libyan media had reported that the Tripoli side were still insisting that the Khalifa Hafter Libyan National Army (LNA) withdrew to the positions it had before 4 April 2019. The LNA had so far refused to agree to this and counter-demanded to the Tripoli side that: the LNA remain in control of the 4 camps it holds in Tripoli; Tripoli ‘‘militias’’ be disarmed and disbanded (DDR); the so-called Turkish / Syria mercenaries be withdrawn; and the so-called criminals in Tripoli be arrested and put on trial.

 

Tags: 5+5 Libya Military talks 2020ceasefire trucefeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyMaetiga Mitiga AirportUNSMIL

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

LPTIC agrees with Ericsson on maintenance and development of its networks and infrastructure

LIA publishes first-ever self-assessment of application of Santiago principles

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.