No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s Coronavirus cases up by two to 63, WHO urges vigilance, stranded repatriation flights start Tuesday

bySami Zaptia
May 4, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(NCDC).

London, 4 May 2020:

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced two new Coronavirus (Covid-19) cases on Friday and four new recoveries on Saturday. The new positive cases had mixed with preexisting cases the NCDC said.

The latest figures bring the country’s total cases to 63, with 22 recoveries and three deaths. Putting this into regional context: On 1 May, Morocco had 4,569 cases , Algeria 4,154, Tunis 994 and Mauritania 8 cases – compared to Libya’s 63.

WHO urges continued vigilance

RELATED POSTS

Five health workers imprisoned for issuing fake Covid-19-free certificates

Derna disaster update: Five Greek aid workers die in road accident, Spanish and Maltese teams return home

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) is urged Health Authorities in Libya on Saturday to exercise caution in the face of the serious health threat posed by COVID-19 in the country.

“Now is not the time to reduce caution,” said Elizabeth Hoff, WHO’s representative in Libya said in the statement. “The low numbers reported should not fool us into a false sense of security. Libya is in the early stages of the epidemic and has not yet reached the height of infection. Until the test becomes more widespread, it will be impossible to ascertain the extent of the disease and its geographical spread.”

Up to Saturday, Libya had tested 1,802 laboratory samples of COVID-19. Of the 63 confirmed patients, 3 have died, 22 have recovered and the rest are still being treated. Tripoli accounts for the majority of cases (48), followed by Misrata (10), Benghazi (4) and Surman (1).

WHO went on to recommend that Libya’s health authorities increase testing capacity by establishing an additional laboratory in south Libya and expanding testing to include patients with influenza-like illnesses and severe acute respiratory infections.

It also said that adequate, regular supplies of testing kits will be essential. Improved disease surveillance and investigation – including in migrant populations – and contact tracing are also important tools to inform and drive the outbreak response.

Hoff said that the key public health measures to tackle COVID-19 were the same in every country: track, test and treat. Patients with confirmed COVID-19 must be isolated, contacts traced, and measures to prevent the disease must continue. While some countries in western Europe are seeing a stabilization or decline in numbers, others are beginning to see a resurgence of cases. Africa, at the beginning of the pandemic, is witnessing an upward trend.

As WHO’s Director-General recently said: “Make no mistake: we have a long way to go. This virus will be with us for a long time.”, concluded the WHO-Libya statement.

Returning citizens stranded abroad

Meanwhile, with the news that as of Tuesday two flights have been scheduled to repatriate the first batch of Libyans, and up to a maximum of three flights per day, the head of the NCDC, Bad Al-din al-Najar, assured Libyan citizens on Sunday that no fellow citizen currently stranded abroad will be allowed to return to Libya until they had undergone preventive measures taken by the state and it was certain that they were free of Corona.

Fears have been expressed by the Libyan public that having kept infections to a minimum, and having endured 6pm to 6am curfews, a sudden flood of repatriations might scupper all the good work done so far. The fear is also based on the news that some of those repatriated in March April had escaped quarantine.

It will be recalled that on 12 April Libya’s Tripoli based Foreign Ministry had announced detailed plans for the repatriation of stranded citizens. On 21 April the Committee formed to conduct the repatriation had announced that the screening and quarantine process had started.

Najar said that the NCDC has taken technical measures regarding the repatriation of Libyan citizens stranded abroad. He pointed out that no Libyan citizen will return until after passing the procedures taken from quarantine for 14 days, and to make sure that they are completely free of Coronavirus through PCR (polymerise chain reaction) screening. Some of those stranded in Istanbul have indeed confirmed these procedures to Libya Herald.

He also revealed that the NCDC was preparing a guide for airlines on how to deal in terms of preventive steps with citizens stranded during their transfer to Libya and that there is coordination between Libya’s Ministry of Transport and the NCDC in the transportation of citizens stranded abroad.

Najar said that the NCDC has prepared monitoring forms to follow-up on the health status of passengers, which will need to be filled-in by returnees inside the aircraft and then handed over to the international health control offices, which will deliver them to the NCDC and through which all travellers will be followed up.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/04/22/libya-starts-14-day-quarantine-process-and-testing-of-citizens-stranded-abroad-prior-to-repatriation/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/04/15/libyas-tripoli-based-foreign-ministry-announces-plans-to-repatriate-citizens-stranded-abroad/

 

Tags: Badr Al-Din Al-Najar head of the National Centre for Disease ControlCoronavirus Covid-19 pandemicfeaturedNational Centre for Disease Control NCDCrepatriate repatriationWHO World Health Organization

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

UNSMIL’s Williams pays tribute to brave Libya journalists on World Press Freedom Day

US ambassador Norland supports HoR head Saleh's democratic process

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.