No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC decries increased build-up of mercenaries at its eastern oil sites

bySami Zaptia
August 3, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: NOC).

London, 3 August 2020:

Libya’s state National Oil Corporation (NOC) expressed concern last week about the increased militarization of its eastern oil sites.

It reported that ‘‘mercenaries’’ at Ras Lanuf petrochemical complex, Zueitina oil port and Zallah field are ‘‘a threat and may lead to the destruction of the Libyan people’s sole source of revenue’’.

It said it is deeply concerned about the ‘‘continuing militarization of its oil facilities and the heavy presence of foreign mercenaries at various oil fields and ports in the east and south of the country’’.

RELATED POSTS

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

NOC discusses Honeywell study on economic feasibility of developing Zawia Oil Refining Co. – potential to save on petrol subsidies and imports

It reported that the number of mercenaries at the Ras Lanuf petrochemical complex has recently increased. It said that their presence constitutes ‘‘a threat to the safety of workers’’ and industrial facilities within the complex.

It also reported that there are also ‘‘a large number of military personnel billeted in worker housing inside the residential area of Ras Lanuf town, in a flagrant violation of the law, privacy and security of worker housing’’.

Furthermore, in what it referred to as ‘‘another blatant violation of the law, on Sunday, July 26, 2020, (Libya’s state-paid) Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) forcibly seized large quantities of jet fuel from fuel storage tanks at 103 Field airstrip belonging to Zueitina Oil Company. The fuel was then taken offsite in two fully laden trucks’’.

The NOC also reported that on Saturday July 25, 2020, ‘‘a military aircraft’’ landed at Zueitina port with ‘‘uniformed personnel onboard’’, who ‘‘inspected the runway in preparation for military use’’. It added that afterwards, ‘‘foreign mercenaries entered and occupied the worker housing at Zueitina port’’.

The NOC also reported that it had received ‘‘reports of large numbers of mercenaries with military vehicles occupying the residential area of the Zallah oil field. Another group is occupying a Schlumberger Company camp located close to the field’’.

It reiterated its calls for the withdrawal of mercenaries and the demilitarisation of oil facilities so that its workers can carry out their work without putting their lives in danger.

It will be recalled that the two contesting sides in Libya’s civil war are camped either side of the de facto ceasefire line just west of Sirte. Both sides have been building up their forces for a possible attack. The forces aligned to the internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli have vowed to push beyond the unofficial Sirte-Jufra ”red line”, to ”liberate” Sirte and the eastern oilfields, that the NOC is referring to – currently occupied by the pro Khalifa Hafter forces.

While Tripoli is backed militarily by Turkey and its aligned Syrian mercenaries, Hafter is backed by Wagner mercenaries (considered as proxies for Russia by the U.S.), pro Assad Syrian mercenaries, Egypt and U.A.E finance.

UNSMIL and the U.S. are working behind the scenes to avert a military attack, consolidate the ceasefire and restart political dialogue.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/06/27/noc-expresses-deep-concern-at-russian-mercenary-presence-at-sharara-oilfield/

 

Tags: featuredMercenariesNOC National Oil Corporation

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Monopoly and speculation lead to unprecedented local cement price rise – as Libya seeks post-war reconstruction

Libya’s Tripoli Interior Ministry launches ‘‘Al-Dakhilia’’mobile App for reporting law breakers

Libya’s Tripoli Interior Ministry launches ‘‘Al-Dakhilia’’mobile App for reporting law breakers

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.