No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

As extreme temperatures cause longer power cuts, Aldabaiba and GECOL head come under pressure

bySami Zaptia
June 29, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
As extreme temperatures cause longer power cuts, Aldabaiba and GECOL head come under pressure

Prime Minister Aldabaiba talked tough with GECOL chairman Abdali regarding increased power cuts (Photo: GNU).

By Sami Zaptia.

Prime Minister Aldabaiba talked tough with GECOL chairman Abdali regarding increased power cuts (Photo: GNU).

London, 29 June 2021:

With summer temperatures rising to the late 30’s and 40’s across Libya over the last two weeks, demand for electricity to operate air conditions has sky-rocketed – in tandem with lengthening power cuts.

The increased power cuts has led to increased criticism of Prime Minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba and the chairman of the state General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL), Wiam Al-Abdali.

And as the Prime Minister posed before the newly arrived former Qaddafi Presidential plane and posed with world leaders in Berlin, London and Rabat (Morocco), many Libyans used social media to vent their anger with Aldabaiba. This came in the form of abuse and various memes related to power cuts and high temperatures.

RELATED POSTS

Power restored after wide and long power cuts in Tripoli as contractors cut main power line – Mufti condemns power cut, GECOL calls on AG to investigate

Misratan businesses to escalate protests against increased commercial electricity tariff

Aldabaiba, it will be recalled, had vowed to resolve the power cuts crisis upon taking up office. He therefore, upon his return from Rabat, called for an urgent meeting with Al-Abdali and the GECOL leadership. A clip of his meeting was released showing him warning GECOL that while he will support them he expected them to keep to their promise to reduce power cuts.

He said he would not be abused by the public for them.

In response, Al-Abdali took to the airwaves in at least two prominent presentations setting out GECOL’s view of the current electricity situation.

Here is a summary of his presentations:

  • The network is currently producing 5,200 megawatts, and we have reached consumption of 8,125 megawatts for the first time ever.

 

  • We have never had two successive weeks of such high temperatures. The situation will improve next week, with a decrease in the temperature, and we have succeeded in controlling the network during the heat wave compared to last year.

 

  • An additional 2,000 megawatts will enter the network at the end of this year and early next year.

 

  • We told the Koreans to either return to complete the projects or cancel their contracts.

 

  • We are negotiating with 4 companies for sites in Zliten, Derna and Tripoli West for networks with a capacity of 5,000 megawatts, and if we were able to do so, we would say goodbye to load sharing.

 

  • We negotiate with companies; To localize solar energy in Ghadames, Kufra, Houn and Rabyana in cooperation with Eni, and it is the first building block for solar energy projects in Libya.

 

  • The citizen does not want to pay what he owes, and he wants high-quality electrical services.

 

  • Ubari station is 100% ready to be connected to the network after the arrival of spare parts.
Tags: featuredGECOL chairman Wiam Al AbdaliGECOL General Electricity Company of Libya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya regrets Egyptian court US$ 1 billion Kharafi new ruling

International community urge Libyans to agree on constitutional basis for elections

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.