No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saboteurs blow up Man-Made River station 353 cutting water supply to four main cities

bySami Zaptia
July 30, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Saboteurs blow up Man-Made River station 353 cutting water supply to four main cities

(Photo: MMR).

By Sami Zaptia.

Saboteurs blew up MMR station 353 cutting off water to 4 large population centres (Photo: MMR).

London, 30 July 2021:

Saboteurs yesterday blew up station 353 of the eastern route (Al-Hasawna system – Al-Jafara Plain) feeding system of the Man-Made River (MMR) near Shewerif Municipality, causing it great damage, MMR Spokesperson Salah Al-Saadi told various Libyan media outlets.

The sabotage action will lead to the suspension of the water supply to the cities of Bani Walid, Misrata, Khoms and Zliten, and all cities fed by the eastern route, he explained.

Military engineers are currently securing the area for fear of explosives and mines planted by the outlaws, in preparation for the entry of the MMR maintenance teams to determine the extent of the damage and start maintenance, he added. He was unable to quantify the damage at this time.

RELATED POSTS

Man-made River Authority repairs 28 wells after electric shock puts all 34 operating water wells out of service

Tripoli’s Grand Water Reservoir: Aldabaiba to eliminate water scarcity by supporting development projects

The Spokesperson said that in the past two days, ‘‘a subversive group’’ was arrested that was trying to target the river lines to the west to destabilize security and cut off water from the western region. He believed that this latest sabotage operation is one of its goals.

Background

It will be recalled that since the 2011 revolution that overthrew the Qaddafi regime, the MMR has been a regular target for vandals, saboteurs, criminal opportunists, and those with genuine/unwarranted political grievances. This has led to frequent water cuts and criticism of the MMR.

Up until August last year, for example, the MMR had reported a total of 149 wells had been attacked despite its continuing demands to the concerned state authorities for the provision of security of its assets.

Vandalism and sabotage lead to great loss of water output

The MMR said that the huge number of wells that were vandalized/stolen led to the loss of approximately 460,000 cubic meters of water per day – which is enough to supply the consumption needs of the entire city of Tripoli.

A danger to national water security

It had pointed out that the continuation of these attacks will hinder efforts to continue operations and hinder the flow of water to the consumption areas. It pointed out that the issue of the continued attacks on its assets is a danger to national water security, and an urgent national strategic necessity that cannot tolerate any delay or postponement.

Meandering MMR not easy to secure

It will be recalled that the MMR Authority has been asking for armed protection of its assets for years. In 2013 the then recently established Ministry of Water Resources said it would tackle the problem of illegal tapping of the Man-Made River and attacks on its assets with the creation of a brigade of 1,500 armed soldiers to police vulnerable sections of the MMR pipeline. However, in practice 4,000 km of pipelines and assets are not easy to guard in mostly isolated desert areas.

Tripoli and the western region of Libya had experienced acute water shortages last summer forcing many to dig bore-wells in their gardens or on pavements outside their homes costing about LD 5,000.

Dilapidated system in much need for overdue maintenance

In response to the criticism, the MMR Authority said that it has been doing its best to continue to supply water with the wells that are still operating and within its dilapidated system. It says the system is in need of much maintenance due to the sabotage and theft of wells, as well as the lack of scheduled maintenance of wells and flow control valves.

It also blamed the poor security conditions and armed conflicts, which it said also disrupted the operation processes and put it in a very critical situation.

 

Man-Made River has remained out of politics and acted as a unifier: MMR chairman | (libyaherald.com)

As another well is attacked, the Man-Made River Authority reports 149 water wells attacked despite appeals to the state for security | (libyaherald.com)

130 wells sabotaged as Man-made River calls for provision of security | (libyaherald.com)

Armed guard to patrol Man-Made River | (libyaherald.com)

Tags: featuredMMR Man-Made River

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libya imports 100,000 litres of oxygen from Egypt to solve acute shortage at Coronavirus Isolation Centres

Libya imports 100,000 litres of oxygen from Egypt to solve acute shortage at Coronavirus Isolation Centres

HoR Committee completes drafts of 2021 election laws at Rome meeting

HoR Committee completes drafts of 2021 election laws at Rome meeting

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.