Libyan authorities discuss export of horses to international markets
By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 5 December 2021:
The Libyan Export Promotion Centre (LEPC), the National Centre for Animal Health, the Libyan Horse Racing Authority and several Libya horse breeders met last Thursday at the LEPC’s headquarters in Tripoli to discuss the export of Libyan horses to the international market.
At the end of the meeting, the attendees agreed on:
– Organizing the Libya International Exhibition for Horses and Supplies.
– Joint coordination between the authorities to submit a draft decision to the Ministry of Economy and Trade regulating the export of Libyan horses in accordance with specific requirements, conditions and controls.
– Updating the animal health certificate form for the export of horses that meets the requirements of the countries targeted for the export of Libyan horses.
– Coordination of efforts between the authorities, owners and breeders of horses to contribute to the preparation of an internationally accredited national laboratory to detect horse diseases and steroids.
– Participation in the preparation of marketing studies to identify opportunities for the export of Libyan horses.
The initiative is part of Libya’s efforts to diversify its economy away from hydrocarbons.