The Railroads Implementation and Management Agency (Libyan Railroads) is holding a workshop on 22 November in Tripoli under the banner: ‘‘The Importance of Railways to Sustainable Growth, Transit Trade and Economic Development’’.
Libyan Railways says its modern vision is to give priority to the transportation of raw materials and goods and to focus on linking populated cities, ports, free zones and dry ports. It also takes into consideration the connection of these lines to neighbouring countries with the aim of using them in transit trade to support and diversify the national economy.
To implement this vision, it said it started studying the financing of these projects by the allocation of a budget from the Libyan government or local and international investments. It is also planning to train and rehabilitate national manpower that can assist in construction and operation.
Objectives of the workshop
- To clarify the priorities for implementing the railways projects and the stages they have reached
- Activating the participation of the private sector in financing, investment, implementation, and operation of railway projects
- Elucidating the importance of railways in reinforcing economic and social development
- Strengthening the development process and sustainable regional integration
- Emphasis on the role of railways in economic diversification
- The importance of railways in the integration of the transportation sector
- Benefit from the experiences of other countries in this field
- The Railway and its importance in transit trade
- The role of railways in reducing the disadvantages of transportation
- The strategy of the railway’s authority in the implementation of the project
- The city train and its integration with the public transportations system to serve sustainable development in Libya
- The available alternatives to finance the railways projects and investment opportunities
- The role of freight trains in transporting goods and natural resources in Libya
- The role of the Iron and Steel Company (LISCO) in implementing the railway track by transporting its products to support the national economy
- Renewable energy investment opportunities in the railway’s operations