No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia “agreed by elders”

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia “agreed by elders”

Washefana

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Warshefana
Warshefana at Camp 27 yesterday

Tripoli, 9 August 2014:

Members of the Warshefana and Zawia councils of elder have agreed a peace deal, according to . . .[restrict]a deputy commander of the Warshefana forces. He told the Libya Herald that representatives from the Zawia Council of Elders had arrived in the district for negotiations last night and that a peace would be signed today. The main part of the deal, he claimed, was that Zawia would stop supporting Misrata in the current conflict in Tripoli. The Warshefana would also had over a number of Zawian forces captured in and around Camp 27 in recent days.

The deal follows the recapture of the camp by Warshefana forces yesterday, leaving Zawia dangerously exposed to potential missile attacks from the Warshefana. It also comes against the background of intensified efforts by the House of Representatives, the UN and the EU to establish a ceasefire.

Camp 27 was first taken by the Warshefana from Libya Shield forces and their allies on Tuesday after heavy fighting in which eight people, were said to have been killed. Sixty were reported injured. A number of others were captured by Warshefana.  The latter allege that Libya Shield’s dead included two Egyptian snipers.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

However, early on Thursday, amid reports that combined force from Zawia, Sabratha and Janzour were planning to retake it, the Warshefana left, claiming to have taken large amounts of captured weaponry with them.

The deputy Warshefana commander insisted to this newspaper at the time that they had pulled out voluntarily because the camp was not worth losing any men or equipment over.

Later in the day, moreover, it was clear that anti-Zintan/Warshefana forces were again in control. The First Janzour Support Division posted photos of it on its Facebook page to show that it had been retaken by them and forces from Zawia and Sabratha.

Yesterday, it was the Warshefana who were again posting photos of themselves at the camp.  They say they moved in after the Zawians and their allies tried to attack the Warshefana town of Zahra on Thurday and, when repulsed, fell back to the camp using it to fire missiles at the town.

This time, according to the deputy Warshefana commander, they are demolishing the buildings and the perimeter wall. The aim, he said, was to prevent the camp being seized and held by any military forces in future. It would in time, he declared, be turned into a public park.

Even if true, it is uncertain if the reported peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia will hold. In particular, it cannot be guaranteed that younger revolutionaries in the Zawia district will follow the advice and decisions of their elders. In June, there was a much-trumpeted formal reconciliation between Zawia and Bani Walid, negotiated by the two towns’ elders. It did not affect loyalties in Zawia. Bani Walid is firmly anti-Misrata while Zawia’s active forces have been supporting Misrata.

On the other hand, the town’s most prominent revolutionary leader, Shaaban Hadia Al-Zawi, the head of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room – a major element in the Misrata-led alliance – is reported to have now left Libya for Morocco.

If the deal does work, it will be a major setback for the Misratan alliance. It would mean that its supporters in Janzour, the Fursan Janzour, would be split off from Misratan/revolutionary forces in the capital and isolated. Ghut Shaal between Janzour and central Tripoli is firmly pro-Zintan while Sabratha to the west of Zawia in two minds about where its loyalties lie.

Sabratha Municipal Council has said that it doe not support either side in the current conflict. [/restrict]

Tags: Camp 27featuredLibyawarshefanaZawia

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

CBL to deliver cash using Ilyushin military transport plane and helicopters

HoR receives first report from ministers in Tobruk

HoR receives first report from ministers in Tobruk

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.