No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon’s enduring confidence over final deal

byNigel Ash
September 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon’s enduring confidence over final deal

UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)

Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)
UNSMIL chief confident that tomorrow will be better (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 16 September 2015:

The Libya Dialogue is due tomorrow to start discussing the leadership of the Government of National . . .[restrict]Accord said UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon in the Moroccan resort of Skirhat.

Selecting the three key posts of premier and his or her two deputies may be a big ask since only part of the House of Representatives delegation is there. Two members had reportedly returned to Tobruk for consultation given the fundamental changes made since the accord was initialled last month.The four members of the team from the General National Congress were reportedly delayed by problems with the UN aeroplane  in Tripoli.

None of this would have been apparent from Leon’s upbeat press conference this evening.  He said : “We have spent another day of consultations with the different delegations. The ones that are here, the ones that are not here and after deliberation with all the participants, UNSMIL has considered that the moment has come tomorrow for expediting our talks and proposing that we start the discussion on the candidates for the national unity government”.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Leon said that UNSMIL had received “hundreds, if not thousands” of messages from ordinary Libyans insisting that the formation of the new Government of National Accord should be completed by Eid A-Ahdha, which is 23 September, three days after his latest deadline.

Leon said that he hoped that all parties would be ready to start the discussions tomorrow.

“We have still two, three days ahead of us, and it is important that we use them to make progress in these talks and to try to be ready as we have reiterated by the 20th of September”.

Leon majored on the fact that today was the anniversary of the murder by the Italians of Omar Mukhtar in 1931.

“He has been a reference for all the Libyans ” said Leon, “many of the brigades during the revolution were called Omar Al-Mukhtar, to pay tribute to his legacy – and maybe today is a day to remember his legacy and to remind the Libyans that it is important not to miss this opportunity”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLeonLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Ajdabiya activist murdered

London High Court to start October hearings on legitimacy of LIA chairmen

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.