The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is seeking qualified candidates for the following full time positions in its Tripoli office:
Finance & Administrative Assistant
These positions will be responsible for providing support to NDI’s program activities strengthening Libyan democratic institutions and processes.
Primary Responsibilities of Program Assistant
- Assist the managers with the day-to-day activities of the program and provide support in the planning, design and implementation of the program.
- Coordinate meetings and training activities, including logistics, for NDI’s activities with organizations promoting and working for democratic development in Libya.
- Maintain and update contact lists and calendars of events.
- Serve as an NDI liaison with political and civil society groups throughout Libya.
- Coordinate training sessions in conjunction with expatriate and national staff.
- Prepare and distribute supporting materials for training and consultations.
- Provide interpretation services for international staff in meetings, consultations and trainings.
- Provide oral and written translation from English to Arabic and vice versa.
- Provide back-up administrative and logistical support as needed.
- Support effective financial management of program activities.
- Work irregular hours, including weekends, as needed with ability to travel.
- Provide regular training reports and updates on the political landscape of the country.
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
Primary Responsibilities of Finance & Administrative Assistant
- Review, draft and/or complete all supporting financial documentation from staff, vendors, and contractors for exactness and authenticity in support of the financial reconciliation process;
- Oversee the preparation of all documentation such as Cash Disbursement forms, Purchase Requests, Invoices, Delivery Notes, Contracts, etc that must be sent to headquarters in Washington on a monthly basis;
- Facilitate daily accounting of funds, expense reconciliation documentation and recording into accounting software;
- Facilitate staff reimbursement and petty cash;
- Ensure staff timesheets are completed appropriately by all national staff and collected on a monthly basis and reviewing them for accuracy;
- Facilitate payroll calculations and payment for all national staff;
- Facilitate calculating any outstanding annual leave and severance payments;
- Support appropriate filing and safe keeping of finance, HR and administrative documentation;
- Other duties as needed and assigned.
Primary Responsibilities of Logistics Coordinator
- Insure offices and equipment are in proper order to support program personnel and visitors.
- Facilitate procurement and inventory of NDI property in coordination with other teams.
- Facilitate the hiring of local contractors as needed, including contract management.
- Facilitate logistics and arrangements with vendors for program conferences and events.
- Coordinate travel and movement of NDI staff and visitors, including flight bookings, vehicle movements and hotel accommodations.
- Facilitate and track shipment of NDI property and materials.
- Adhere to NDI’s security policies and ensure that security plans, procedures, and guidelines are being followed.
- In coordination with senior managers, respond to incidents/emergencies as they occur.
- Perform duties after regular office hours and on weekends as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years experience in similar role
- Demonstrated interest in the development of democratic institutions in Libya.
- Verbal and written fluency in English and Arabic languages.
- Well organized and skilled at managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Good writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated administrative experience and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexible, detail oriented, diligent and team oriented.
- Ability to commit to fixed working hours from 9:00am to 6:00pm Sunday to Thursday as well as evenings and weekends as needed by the program.
- Ability to travel throughout Libya as needed based on program needs.
Qualified persons are invited to submit a CV, cover letter, and list of three references by e-mail to [email protected], with the specific position in the subject line.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for initial interview. Initial contract is for a 3 month period with the potential for extension. While NDI encourages applicants from across Libya, neither relocation nor housing allowances will be available for these positions.