No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

bythomwestcott
March 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

Saadi Qaddafi shortly after his arrest two years ago (File photo)

By Libya Herald staff.

Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media
Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media

Tripoli, 6 March 2014:

Saadi Qaddafi arrived in Tripoli in the early hours of this morning, after . . .[restrict]Niger finally agreed to extradite him.

“Saadi Muammar Qaddafi was extradited to Libya from Niger this morning and is currently being detained by Libya’s Judicial Police,” the Libyan government said in a statement released on its Facebook page and via its official Twitter account. Security sources confirmed that Saadi arrived at 2.50 am this morning at Tripoli’s Mitiga airbase and was transferred to Hadba Prison, where other leading members of the former regime, including Abdullah Senussi, are held.

The government was keen for Saadi, the third son of the former dictator,  to receive just and fair treatment, reflecting international standards, the statement added.

RELATED POSTS

Office of Prosecutor of International Criminal Court welcomes Germany’s arrest of Libyan suspect

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Images of him with his head and beard shaved, whilst dressed in prison uniform are now widely-circulated on social media networks, although it is not clear if the picture has been doctored.

It is not yet clear what charges Saadi faces but it was alleged that, in the early days of the revolution, Saadi gave orders for Qaddafi forces to open fire on unarmed protestors.

The government thanked Niger, in particular President Mahamadou Issoufou, for its co-operation in the extradition.

Niger had consistently refused to hand over the footballer-turned-supposed Salafist who fled to the country in September 2011 despite repeated Libyan requests for him and other members of the former regime who had fled with him.  It said the most it would do was hand him over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, although the ICC was not seeking him.

However, it became clear last month that views were changing in Niamey.  Three weeks ago, Niger handed over former Qaddafi Internal Security Chief, Abdullah Mansour.

Whether cash has been paid to secure Saadi’s delivery, as alleged in the surrender of other Qaddafi regime figures abroad, is unlikely ever to be disclosed.

However, it is also believed that Niger had become exasperated with him for not keeping to the terms of his remaining in the country, by staying put in the house provided to  him.  In January, the Niger government ordered him back to house arrest after Qaddafi supporters seized the Tamenhint airbase near Sebha and sporadic pro-Qaddafi protests elsewhere in the country, all of which Saadi was accused of organising. [/restrict]

Tags: extraditionfeaturedhuman rightsLibyanigerSaadi QaddafiSaif Al-Islam QaddafiTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

UNESCO holds seminars on digital broadcasting

Design for new half-dinar coin released

Design for new half-dinar coin released

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.