No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Cabinet reshuffle u-turn – Zeidan

bySami Zaptia
August 1, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Cabinet reshuffle u-turn – Zeidan

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan (centre) performed a u-turn on his intended cabinet reshuffle (Photo:Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan (centre) performed a u-turn on his intended cabinet reshuffle (Photo:Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 1 August 2013:

At yesterday’s press conference, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan performed a total u-turn on his intention to have . . .[restrict]a cabinet reshuffle.

Zeidan gave as the reason for his inability to re-shuffle his government and reduce it in size the “structure” of the Ministries.

He said that Ministries would have to keep their “structure” because the budgets had been allocated on the basis of the present Ministries/structures.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

However, he did reveal that there will nevertheless be a smaller working cabinet or Crises Committee, or what is sometimes referred to as an inner cabinet in the UK.

Led by the Prime Minister, this new inner cabinet will consist of five Ministers: Foreign, Defence, Interior, Finance and Justice, as well as the head of intelligence.

It will meet daily or more when necessary, Zeidan said. He said that whilst the other Ministries will have to remain as they are, there could be some changes to some Ministers. He would not reveal who these might be, saying that the GNC would have to approve these changes before being announced.

He did, however, reveal again that he was having difficulty getting people to accept positions as Ministers.

He said that he was awaiting the response of the GNC on his proposals for Defence, Information, Local Government and Social Affairs Ministers.

It is not clear if Zeidan’s back-peddling on his decision to reduce his government  is indeed as a result of the budget restraints, or whether he had encountered opposition.

Choosing the cabinet is a very fine balancing act. He has to please all political parties, tribes, regions and the thuwar/militias. Changing this balance would have taken time and much political horse trading.

Moreover, if Zeidan had introduced any brand new Ministers, there would have been the matter of getting them approved by the Political Isolation Law Committee, the successor to the Integrity Commission.

It had taken Ali Zeidan months to gain approval for his cabinet from both the GNC and the then Integrity Commission, hot on the heels of the rejection of Mustafa Abushagur’s failure to form a government in October 2012.

Last year, there was a series of rejections by the Integrity Commission as well as appeals and over-rulings by the GNC itself.

The process could have been divisive, lengthy and traumatic for a weak government trying to hold Libya together. In view of this, both Zeidan and the GNC probably decided the timing was not right for such a move. [/restrict]

Tags: cabinetcrises committeefeaturedGNCinner cabinetintegrity commissionministerministriesPolitical Isolation LawreshuffleZeidan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya oil production down 70 percent – Arusi

Libya oil production down 70 percent – Arusi

Qaddafi Minister sentenced to death by Misrata court

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.