No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government appoints security supremo for Benghazi

byMichel Cousins
October 21, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff

Tripoli, 20 October 2013:

The government has appointed a security supremo in Benghazi to bring peace and stability to . . .[restrict]the violence-hit city.

It has put Colonel Wanis Bukhamada in charge of all security forces in the city. He is already head of the Saiqa Brigade (special forces) in Benghazi.

Announcing the appointment at his press conference this afternoon, the Prime Minister said that security in Benghazi had been high on the agenda at today’s cabinet meeting, which had been attended by the Chief of Staff, Major General Jadullah Al-Obeidi. Zeidan said that he had been asked to approve Bukhamada’s appointment, and that he had done so. It had the support, he stated, of both the Chief of Staff and the Minister of Defence, Abdullah Al-Thinni.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Benghazi has seen dozens of security officials murdered in the past year, the most recent being the Chief of Libya’s Military Police, Colonel Ahmed Mustafa Al-Barghathi, who was gunned down outside his home on Friday while leaving to go to his local mosque for prayers.  The murder unleashed a backlash, with tribesman and supporters then burning down the home of Libya Shield No.1 commander, Wissam Ben Hamid, whom they blamed for the killing, and trying to attack the homes of other Islamist military leaders in the city.

Bukhamada is from Benghazi. Last year he served as military commander of Sebha following the communal clashes in and around the town in which some 147 people died. He was transferred back to Benghazi earlier this year.

He has himself been targeted by militants. Bombs were thrown at his Benghazi home just over a year ago while he was in Sebha but fortunately no one was hurt. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyaWanis Bukhamda

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya not a state “in normal sense of word”: Zeidan

Zeidan names two Congressmen “behind his abduction”

Zeidan names two Congressmen "behind his abduction"

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.