No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Row over Tebu and Zwai abductees holds up their release

byMichel Cousins
January 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 2 January 2014:

A row over the status of two Zwai men seized during a raid against Tebus at . . .[restrict]an agricultural project near the Sarir oilfield last month is threatening to derail attempts to ensure their freedom and that of nine Tebus seized in reprisal in Adjdabiya along with four Zwai students taken in a counter-reprisal.

The two Zwais are militiamen and the army brigade commader who captured them is refusing to free them as part of an exchange negotiated by Zwai and Tebu elders and mediated by elders from Jalu.

The two were caught by the army’s Brigade No. 25 a fortnight ago when they and other members of their militia attacked the Sarir Agricultural Project, near the Sarir oil field, in a move seen as a reprisal for the Tebu closure of Ajdabiya-Kufra road. In the incident, five other militiamen, all Zwai, were killed by the brigade. A largely Tebu unit, it has the job of guarding both the Sarir and Messla oil fields as well as the nearby Al-Shula oil compound.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In retaliation, members of the Zwai community in Ajdabiya then attacked Tebus there. One was killed and nine were seized, reportedly by the Libya Shield No. 2 Brigade and another unit called the Island Brigade.

A couple of days later, four Zwai students from Kufra heading to Jalu, where they are studying, were arrested by Brigade No. 25 while driving past the Shula oil compound in what is seen as a further tit-for-tat move. They are now being held alongside the two Zwai militiamen.

In the negotiations, the Zwai agreed to unconditionally release all nine of the Tebus seized in Ajdabiya. However, Ali Seeda, the commander of Brigade No. 25, says that he is represents the government’s  authority in the Sarir area and is refusing to hand over anyone who has taken part in a raid or take part in any further negotiations.

He is being backed by Husain Aya, the Tebu civil rights activist who is the leader of the group that closed the Ajdabiya-Kufra road. He insists that only the seized civilians – the nine Tebus from Ajdabiya for the four Zwai students – can be part of the negotiations. The two militiamen, he says, have to be dealt with by the armed forces.

The Zwai negotiators now insist that the exchange must include the two militiamen.

The head of of Murzuk Military Council, Barka Wardoku, another Tebu, has also waded in the argument. He likewise insists that issues relating to civilians and militants had to be kept separate. “We’ll be setting off Tripoli in the next few days to meet the Defense Minister (Abdullah Al-Thinni) and conduct further negotiations on the matter”, he told the Libya Herald.

“It is crucial not to put everything in a tribal context,” he said. “If we do so, the state’s authority will either dissolve or be exploited.”

It was Defence Minister Thinni who negotiated an end to the Ajdabiya-Kufra road blockade with Hussein Aya.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyaJaluKufraLibyaMurzukTebusZwai

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
First disabled school opens in Zuwara

First disabled school opens in Zuwara

Workshop on Libya’s external trade agreements held in Tripoli today

Workshop on Libya's external trade agreements held in Tripoli today

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.