No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Obari’s Tuaregs announce support for HoR as Tebu forces threaten to fight Misratans over oilfields

byMichel Cousins
October 30, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Kufra, 30 October 2014:

Following yesterday’s meeting at the Sharara oilfield in the southwest of the country between the President . . .[restrict]of the House of Representatives, Ageela Saleh Gwaidar, and leaders of the local Tuareg community, the latter are reported to have pledged their allegiance to the HoR as the country’s legitimate parliament.

The Tebus already support the HoR.

Saleh had flown to the oilfield with Second Deputy HoR President Ahmed Arhuma, who is from Sebha, and a group of elders from across the country to try and mediate between local Tuareg and Tebu communities. The two have been engaged in sporadic clashes in nearby Obari for over a month following the arrival of a Tuareg militia which tried to take over the local petrol station. It has been claimed that the militia had been dispatched to the area to secure the local oilfields for Libya Dawn.

RELATED POSTS

Zallaf makes its first Erawin oilfield crude export via Zawia port

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Obari is a Tuareg-majority town but law and order has been in the hands of the minority Tebu. Relations between the two, however, were harmonious until the arrival of the Tuareg militia, said to be from outwith the area. Local Tuaregs were inevitably drawn into the subsequent fighting between it and Tebu forces.

The Tebus were not present at yesterday’s meeting, apparently because of timing difficulties, but Saleh is reported to want both communities to send negotiators to Tobruk to work out a lasting peace between them.

His visit, however, appears to been prompted by the urgent need to rally local support behind the HoR given reports that, with the Tuareg militia having failed in its objective, Misratan forces were now heading from Sebha to the area to take over the oilfields.

It is the third time that Libya Dawn has tried to take control of them. Early last month, before the fighting in Obari, a Misratan delegation arrived in the town to try and persuade local Tuaregs to back Libya Dawn. The Tuaregs refused but at that point did not come out firmly in favour of the House of Representatives and the Thinni government.

It is too early to say how successful Saleh’s moves for peace between Tuareg and Tebu in Obari will be, although the leader of the local Tuareg community, Sheikh Abubakr Al-Faqih Akadzan, is reported to have said that he welcomed dialogue and reconciliation “with our Tebu brothers”.

Meanwhile, however, the Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) at the Sharara and El-Fil (Elephant) oilfields have indicated that they will not allow the Misratans to take control of them without a fight.

It has been reported that the Misratan-led Third Force, which appears to have sidestepped a Tebu checkpoint south of Sebha and arrived at Germa some 30 kilometres east of Obari, has sent messages to the PFG ordering it to leave the area.

The PFG forces, consisting mainly of Tebus but with some Zintanis plus a few Tuaregs and local Arabs, have responded that the oilfields are already fully secured and will remain so.

“We are Petroleum Facilities Guards. We consist of people from a number of local towns and communities. It is our job to fully secure the oilfields,” the PFG Commander at the Sharara, Ibrahim Shaimi, told the Libya Herald.

“They [the Third Force] have nothing to do with oilfields whatsoever. They should secure Sebha before they think about moving any deeper in the south,” he said.

The Sharara field, some 70 kilometres west of Obari, was already safe and secure, he insisted. “The oilfield is not in any danger; the fighting limited to the town of Obari.”

As for El-Fil, south of the Sharara field, it too was “firmly protected by PFG members”, according to a leading PFG officer there.

“Whoever says that they will secure the oilfields must think that we are invisible. We will hand over nothing to no-one,” Shaimi said. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-Sharara oilfieldLibyaMisrata Third ForceTebutuareg

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi representative dismisses rumours of security spat as conjecture

Benghazi representative dismisses rumours of security spat as conjecture

New Libyan TV channel announced during media training course in Tunis

New Libyan TV channel announced during media training course in Tunis

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.