No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Conflicting reports over military mobilisation on Bani Walid

byGeorge Grant
October 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Conflicting reports over military mobilisation on Bani Walid

The National Army is preparing itself for a possible move on the former Qaddafi stronghold of Bani Walid. (Photo: George Grant)

By George Grant.

The government has said that the army has not yet been mobilised. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 1 October:

Conflicting reports have emerged this evening as to whether or not the military has been mobilised in . . .[restrict]preparation for a possible assault on the former Qaddafi stronghold of Bani Walid.

Unconfirmed reports have been received today of clashes between Libya Shield forces and suspected Qaddafi loyalists at a checkpoint located near to the town, and it is claimed that a more general mobilisation is now underway.

“We are waiting for the command of the army chief of staff [Yousef Mangoush]”, Misrata Local Council chief Saleem Baitelamal told the Libya Herald this afternoon.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The situation in Misrata is that all militias belonging to the army have been alerted. All are ready.”

Interior Minister Fawzi Abdelal also said on television today that an order had been issued to the Supreme Security Committee, which is separate from the National Army, to prepare itself for a possible assault.

On Tuesday, the National Congress issued an ultimatum to Bani Walid to hand over those suspected of involvement in the killing of Omran Shaban, the Misratan revolutionary credited with first discovering Muammar Qaddafi in a drainpipe in Sirte last October.

The Congress voted overwhelmingly in favour of a motion authorising the ministries of interior and defence to use all necessary measures to arrest the suspects. The deadline expires on 5 October.

However, a spokesman for Prime Minister-elect and current Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur has told this paper that no official mobilisation order had been issued by the government to either the army or brigades under its command.

“I can confirm that no action has been authorised against Bani Walid and no mobilisation order issued”, he said.

Tensions between Misrata and Bani Walid have been high for several months following the abduction of several Misratans in the town.

Misratan forces were reported to have mobilised back in July following the kidnapping of two prominent journalists in Bani Walid, whilst Shaban and a colleague were themselves seized four days later having been dispatched to the town.

Reports emerged that a sizeable invasion force had mustered at the frontline checkpoint of Bir Dufan, around 20 kilometres northeast of Bani Walid, although these were proved to be false after the Libya Herald visited the area.

The government in Tripoli is anxious to avoid any unilateral action by Misrata, and it is almost certain that any move on Bani Walid will involve forces from beyond just that city.

It is hoped that the threat of force will prove sufficient to compel Bani Walid tol hand over the suspected men before any action is taken. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
The UN’s Libyan legacy

The UN's Libyan legacy

Abushagur delays government formation as impasse with Jibril continues

Abushagur delays government formation as impasse with Jibril continues

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.