No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Salafist attempt to destroy Zliten shrine sparks country-wide anger

byMichel Cousins
April 30, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, March 11: The attempt by Salafists on Friday to attack and destroy one of Libya’s most important Sufi shrines, in . . .[restrict]Zliten, has angered Libyans far beyond the town.

On Friday, over 100 carloads of armed Salafists arrived in Zliten intent on destroying the tomb of one of the most revered Sufis in Libyan history, Sidi Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar al-Fituri.  The Salafists — from Benghazi, Tripoli, Misrata, Khoms and other towns and led by Sheikh Salah Al-Kikli from Jebel Nafusa — were then confronted by angry Zliten residents and gun-waving militiamen determined to protect the shrine. These were joined by other militiamen from Misrata.

A group of leading figures and sheikhs from Zliten and the nearby towns of Khoms, M’salata and Misrata, including the last’s newly-elected local council leader,  Yousef bin Yousef, then intervened to negotiate with the Salafists. They told them them that the issue of the shrine was a religious one and that they did not have the right to decide what was Islamic.  That was the role of Libya’s Grand Mufti, Sadeq Al-Ghariani, they said

However, they proposed that the shrine be temporarily closed pending the Grand Mufti’s decision and also to send a deputation, including representatives of the Salafists, to meet with NTC leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil.

In the circumstances the Salafists decided to agree and left.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

The Grand Mufti later issued a decisive fatwa on the matter prohibiting attacks on shrines. He had issued two previous fatwas on the subject, the first of which was seen in some quarters as endorsing the destruction, the second as saying this this was not the time for such action.

There have been several attacks by Salafists on Sufi shrines with graves removed and places ransacked.  In January, they destroyed the cemetery of Sidi Ubaid in Benghazi snatching 31 bodies. At Taj near Kufra, they took the body of Sidi al-Mahdi al-Sanussi from his grave. Last month they warned Libyans not to celebrate the birthday of the Prophet — a warning that was massively ignored.  The Salafists say they are acting on the advice of one of Saudi Arabia’s leading clerics, Sheikh Mohammad Al-Luhaidan.

Salafists are extremely small in number in Libya and had been regarded with degree of bemusement until they started attacking the shrines.  They are also blamed for last month’s attack on the British World War II cemetery in Benghazi.  They are also seen as not having initially supported the revolution.  “The problem” said one Benghazi businessman, “is that they now have guns”.

Some officials have linked them  to efforts by Saadi Qaddafi to destabilize the country.  One called them “Saadi Qaddafi’s psudo-Salafi body-snatchers”.

In his TV address from asylum in Niger last month, in which he threatened to return to Libya and lead a counter-revolution, Saadi Qaddafi allied himself with the Salafists.  “I not a politician”, he said. “I am a Salafist.” [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Budget to be approved within two days: Jalil

British Embassy looks to recruit a head for Benghazi bureau

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.