No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Terrorists strike in Misrata

byMichel Cousins
June 12, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 12 June:

Terrorists attacked the Red Cross offices in Misrata early this morning.  A bomb, believed to be home-made, . . .[restrict]exploded at one the buildings in the Red Cross complex in the city at 3.50am. A young Libyan, the son of the owner of the complex, was wounded in the blast but his injuries were not thought to be serious. There were no other casualties. There was, however, material damage to the buildings.

This is the second attack on an office of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in the country in three weeks.  On 22 May, the ICRC offices in Benghazi were damaged in a rocket-propelled grenade attack.  Ten days later, a group calling itself the Sheikh Omar Abdul Rahman Brigade claimed to have carried out the assault because, it said, the ICRC was distributing Bibles and trying to convert Libyans to Christianity.

The claims are seen as absurd by most Libyans and foreign observers alike.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Confirming today’s attack, Soaade Messoudi, the ICRC’s Communications Coordinator in Tripoli said that the organisation was “extremely concerned” about the latest incident.  It had been in touch with the authorities who had visited the site in the morning.

She pointed out that the ICRC had been working in Libya since last year to address humanitarian issues and that it has been fully supported and approved by the Libyan authorities. It was, she said, “not involved in politics or religion”.  It worked very closely with the Libyan Red Crescent and was the founding body of the worldwide Red Cross and Red Crescent movement.  The fact that its emblem was a cross was irrelevant, she added.  The organisation’s “emblems have no religious significance whatsoever”.

The reason the ICRC uses a red cross is because it started in Switzerland and the Red Cross symbol is a reverse image of the Swiss flag.

The so-called Omar Abdul Rahman Brigade, named after the blind Egyptian sheikh serving a life sentence in the US for the bomb attack on New York’s World Trade Center in 1993, has also claimed responsibility for the bomb attack at the US consulate in Benghazi a week ago.

There are, however, serious doubts to as to whether the brigade was involved in either of the attacks or even exists. When it claimed to have attacked the Red Cross building in Benghazi, it specifically denied that it had attacked the nearby Sahara bank which also suffered an RPG attack two hours later. Investigators believe both attack were carried out by the same people.

The concern now is that the Misrata blast is a copy cat attack by a separate group of militants and that there could be more elsewhere. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
El-Kib holds talks with Sudanese

El-Kib holds talks with Sudanese

Misrata faces petrol strike

Misrata faces petrol strike

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.