No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR’s Chief of Staff Nazhuri threatens to attack ships approaching oil ports

bySami Zaptia
July 27, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
HoR’s Chief of Staff Nazhuri threatens to attack ships approaching oil ports

Chief of Staff and military governor Nazhurii (file photo).

By Sami Zaptia.

Chief of Staff Nazhuri has threatened to fire on foreign ships approaching Libyan ports not sanctioned by the HoR (Photo: LANA News Agency).
Chief of Staff Nazhuri  threatens to fire on any foreign ships approaching Libyan ports that have not sanctioned by the HoR (Photo: LANA News Agency).

London, 26 July 2016:

The House of Representatives’ (HoR) Libyan National Army Chief of Staff, Abdelrazak Nazhuri, warned that any foreign oil tankers approaching the Libyan coast will be targeted by the air force.

Nazhuri, who has also been appointed military ruler in the east, said that only oil tankers that had been sanctioned by the eastern-based National Oil Corporation (NOC) recognized by the HoR would be allowed to enter Libyan waters.

Nazhuri’s statement seems to have put an end to the reunification of the Tripoli and Benghazi NOC reached in July this year. His threat has come on the back of the meeting by UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler with regional strongman and Petroleum Facilities Guard head Ibrahim Jadhran in the eastern port of Ras Lanuf last week. Kobler was hoping to persuade Jadhran to reopen the eastern oil ports of Ras Lanuf, Sidra and Zuetina.

RELATED POSTS

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

NOC discusses Honeywell study on economic feasibility of developing Zawia Oil Refining Co. – potential to save on petrol subsidies and imports

Jadhran has been blockading the export of oil from the local coastal oil port terminals under his control since the time of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan back in August 2013. As a result, Libyan oil production has plummeted from a post Qaddafi high of 1.5 million in 2013 to anything ranging from 200,000 to 400,000 bpd in the intervening years.

The Kobler-Jadhran meeting has, however, invoked a negative reaction from the tribes controlling the actual inland oilfields and regions which the pipelines pass through on their way to the coastal ports and oil terminals.

The tribes said that Kobler must speak directly to them and reach a separate agreement with them if he wished to have oil production resumed at the source. They also insisted that they only recognize the HoR and its Abduallah Thinni government in Beida. Jadhran, on the other hand, now claims to recognize the only internationally recognized government of Faiez Serraj and his PC/GNA in Tripoli.

To further complicate matters, Mustafa Sanalla, the chairman of the Tripoli-based and PC/GNA recognized NOC, has slammed Kobler for meeting Jadhran.

In a leaked letter to Kobler, a copy of which was seen by Libya Herald, Sanalla criticized the UNSMIL chief for giving implicit recognition to Jadhran who Sanalla labelled a ‘‘criminal’’. Sanalla objected to Jadhran being rewarded having cost the Libyan state ‘‘over $ 100 billion in lost (oil) revenues’’ in nearly three years.

Jadhran has been extorting the Libyan state at gun point by refusing to open up the oil ports in his region and Sanalla felt the hundreds of millions the PC/GNA was reportedly going to pay Jadhran could be better spent on other oilfields and facilities to increase production – not under Jadhran’s control. Sanalla also threatened to withdraw his recognition of the PC/GNA.

Jadhran hit back at Sanalla’s criticism and promised to reopen the oil ports under his control within days if the PC/GNA signed an agreement with him. It is believed he is awaiting a pay-off

If carried out, Nazhuri’s threat to fire on oil tankers approaching Libyan ports without the HoR’s permission would seem be a further blow to the international community and the PC/GNA’s plans to increase Libya’s oil production. It could also be a blow to the whole existence of the hitherto ineffective UN-backed PC/GNA.

Libya is teetering on the brink with power cuts, a cash crisis, high crime and insecurity, a budget deficit and fast depleting foreign currency reserves. A boost in state revenues through increased oil production could facilitate some relief. But it seems increased oil production is intricately linked to the existing complex political conflict and the one cannot be solved without solving the other.

At the heart of the differences are the refusal of the HoR to recognize the Serraj GNA. The HoR dislikes the non-consensual nature of the PC and that is why the PC’s eastern representative Ali Gatrani has boycotted the PC.

The HoR objects to the PC/GNA relying on Tripoli-based militias to prop it up. It had expected its Khalifa Hafter-led Libyan National Army to be incorporated into a tribal/city/regional-free army. The HoR refuse to allow Hafter to be replaced as head of the army by the PC and feel the PC/GNA is dominated by ‘’Islamists’’.

The Tripoli-based powers refuse to recognize Hafter who they consider to represent the former Qaddafi regime and accuse him of committing crimes against civilians in his so-called war against extremists in Benghazi and Derna.

Tags: abdel-razzaq al-NazhuriAli Gatrani Presidency Council member for east and HoR memberFaiez SerrajfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesIbrahim JadhranKhalifa HaftarMustafa SanallahNOC National Oil CorporationPC/GNA Presidency Council Government of National Accord

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Qaddafi's son Hannibal for Lebanon release: report

Mayors refuse to meet CDA members

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.